It is used for oral contraception.
active substances: 1 film-coated tablet contains 0.03 mg of ethinyl estradiol and 2 mg of chlormadinone acetate;
Excipients: lactose monohydrate, corn starch, maltodextrin, magnesium stearate, shell mixture pink Opadry 03B34109, consisting of: hypromellose, macrogol 400, titanium dioxide (E 171), iron oxide red (E 172), iron oxide ).
This drug Madinet belongs to the group of hormonal contraceptives used systemically, to progestogens and their combinations with estrogens.
The main active components of the drug are ethinyl estradiol and chlormadinone. The low estrogen content reduces the potential side effects usually associated with their use.
Chlormadinone acetate is a progestogen with antiandrogenic properties. This substance has the ability to replace certain androgens, while excluding endogenous and exogenous androgens.
In general, the use of this drug leads to the suppression of the secretion of the main hormones that determine the work of a woman’s reproductive system – these are luteinized and follicle-stimulating hormones. Ovulation is suppressed, the endometrium undergoes proliferation, the secretory layer of the endometrium is transformed, the mucus in the cervical canal changes its properties.
As a result, the movement of sperm through the cervix becomes more difficult and their speed changes.
It is used for oral contraception.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or one of the auxiliary components.
Also, use is contraindicated in:
- thromboembolism of veins or arteries, thrombosis, embolism, tendency to them;
- before scheduled surgery;
- diabetes mellitus with vascular changes (angiopathy);
- arterial hypertension in severe form;
- hepatitis, jaundice, cholestasis, other severe liver or kidney disease;
- abdominal pain, bleeding of unknown etiology;
- porphyria, hormone-dependent tumors, migraines;
- inflammation of the female genital organs.
The drug should not be used in children.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is contraindicated for pregnant women, as well as when planning pregnancy.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, lactation is suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
Madinet is taken 1 tablet a day, at the same time of day (usually before bedtime).
They are taken 21 days in a row, the whole package. This is followed by a break of 7 days. Bleeding similar to menstrual bleeding may disappear on these days.
A new package is started on the 8th day after the end of the previous one, regardless of whether the bleeding has ended or not.
Overdose has not yet been recorded. Theoretically, overdose may result in:
- headache, nausea;
- minor vaginal bleeding (in young women).
Symptomatic therapy, temporary drug withdrawal is recommended.
The use of the drug can cause side effects such as:
- depressed mood, excitability, nervousness;
- dizziness, migraine;
- visual impairment, conjunctivitis, intolerance to contact lenses;
- hearing loss, tinnitus;
- arterial hypotension or hypertension, varicose veins;
- venous thrombosis (rare);
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- disorders of pigment metabolism, chloasma, dry skin, hair loss;
- urticaria, eczema, erythema, pruritus, hypertrichosis, exacerbation of psoriasis;
- dysmenorrhea (pain during the menstrual period), amenorrhea.
- appetite disorders are possible;
- the formation of hormone-dependent tumors is rarely possible.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life is up to 4 years.
The storage temperature of Madinet should not exceed 30 ° C.