This drug is used for the treatment and complex therapy of the following diseases and conditions: hypertensive crisis; ventricular heart rhythm disturbance (tachycardia of the “pirouette” type); convulsive syndrome, eclampsia; lack of magnesium; increased need for magnesium; in the complex therapy of premature birth; exertional angina; poisoning with salts of heavy metals; tetraethyl lead; soluble barium salts (antidote).
Magnium sulfate composition
active substance: magnesium sulfate;
1 ml of solution contains 250 mg magnesium sulfate;
excipient: water for injection.
This drug Magnium sulfate belongs to the group of electrolyte solutions. Parenteral administration of the drug lowers blood pressure, exhibits arteriolodilating, antiarrhythmic, sedative, anticonvulsant, diuretic, tocolytic effects, helps relieve spasms.
With the help of the active component of the drug, which is a calcium antagonist, it is possible to compensate for the lack of Mg in the body. The antagonistic effect is to create an obstacle to the entry of Ca ions.
The medication is able to regulate the metabolic process, neuron-chemical transmission and excitation in the muscles. The drug is able to reduce the content of acetylcholine in the peripheral nervous system and central nervous system, to exhibit sedative, hypnotic or narcotic effects.
The drug has a high antispasmodic activity. It lowers arousal in the respiratory center, but in high concentrations it can cause respiratory depression.
The ability to reduce blood pressure and antiarrhythmic effects of Mg are due to a decrease in excitation in cardiomyocytes, resumption of ion equilibrium, stabilization of cell membranes, changes in the flow of Na, Ca, K, vasodilation, a decrease in peripheral vascular resistance, platelet aggregation, and, in addition, antispasmodic and calming effects.
The sedative effect and anticonvulsant activity of Mg are directly proportional to a decrease in the release of acetylcholine from neuromuscular synapses, suppression of neuromuscular transmission, and direct suppression of the influence of the central nervous system.
This drug Magnium sulfate is used for the treatment and complex therapy of the following diseases and conditions:
- hypertensive crisis;
- ventricular heart rhythm disturbance (tachycardia of the “pirouette” type);
- convulsive syndrome, eclampsia;
- lack of magnesium;
- increased need for magnesium;
- in the complex therapy of premature birth;
- exertional angina;
- poisoning with salts of heavy metals; tetraethyl lead; soluble barium salts (antidote).
This drug may cause allergy to the main or one of the auxiliary components.
Use is contraindicated in:
- arterial hypotension;
- severe bradycardia (heart rate less than 55 beats / min);
- conditions caused by calcium deficiency and depression of the respiratory center;
- impaired renal function;
- severe hepatic or renal failure;
- myasthenia gravis, malignant neoplasms.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is not recommended for pregnant women – only under strict indications determined by the attending physician.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, lactation is suspended.
With anesthesia during childbirth, it is necessary to take into account the possibility of suppressing the contractility of the uterus, which will require the use of stimulants.
Method of administration and dosage
The drug Magnium sulfate is administered intramuscularly or intravenously slowly or intravenously by infusion.
The frequency of administration and dosage depend on the indications and therapeutic efficacy.
- When administered by infusion, the drug is diluted with 0.9% sodium chloride solution or 5% glucose solution.
- When administered intravenously, the injection rate should usually not exceed 150 mg / min, which corresponds to 0.6 ml / min.
The exception is arrhythmias and eclampsia of pregnant women.
Overdose symptoms are signs of hypermagnesemia:
- depressed breathing (5-6.5 mmol / l);
- violation of cardiac conduction (7.5 mmol / l);
- cardiac arrest (12.5 mmol / l).
Hyperhidrosis, increased anxiety, lethargy, frequent urination, and uterine atony may also occur.
In this case, a specific antidote treatment should be carried out – calcium preparations.
If moderate hypermagnesemia is observed, furosemide is prescribed. In case of respiratory depression – calcium chloride, oxygen inhalation, artificial lung ventilation.
In severe cases, peritoneal dialysis or hemodialysis is used.
The drug is usually well tolerated when used in the recommended doses. The following reactions may occur:
- shortness of breath, respiratory depression;
- nausea, vomiting;
- hypocalcemia, hypophosphatemia, hyperosmolar dehydration;
- depression, anxiety;
- arterial hypotension, bradycardia, palpitations, conduction disturbances, hot flashes, prolongation of the PQ interval and expansion of the QRS complex on the ECG, arrhythmia, coma, cardiac arrest;
- hypersensitivity reactions, including anaphylactic shock, angioedema;
- hyperemia, itching, rashes, urticaria;
- muscle weakness;
- atony of the uterus.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life is up to 5 years. Storage periods should not be exceeded.
The storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.