Maltofer is intended for the treatment of patients who suffer from iron deficiency anemia and latent iron deficiency.
active substance: 1 tablet contains 357 mg of iron (III) hydroxide polymaltosate, which is equivalent to 100 mg of iron;
excipients: microcrystalline cellulose, cocoa powder, sodium cyclamate, polyethylene glycol 6000, talc, vanillin, dextrates, chocolate flavoring.
Maltofer contains maltodextrin (partially hydrolyzed starch) and an inorganic iron compound (III). In Maltofer, ferric iron is a component of a complex organic compound.
Iron is involved in the formation of hemoglobin. Like other iron supplements, Maltofer has no effect on erythropoiesis and is ineffective in anemia that is not caused by iron deficiency.
Absorbed iron binds to ferritin and is stored in the liver. Later in the bone marrow, it is included in hemoglobin.
- treatment of iron deficiency without anemia (latent iron deficiency) and iron deficiency anemia (clinically severe iron deficiency).
- iron deficiency and its degree should be confirmed by appropriate laboratory tests.
- there is hypersensitivity or intolerance of the active substance or any component of the drug;
- excessive iron content in the body (eg, hemochromatosis, hemosiderosis);
- disorder of iron excretion mechanisms (lead anemia, sideroahrestic anemia, thalassemia);
- anemia not due to iron deficiency (eg, hemolytic anemia, megaloblastic anemia caused by vitamin B12 deficiency);
- esophageal stenosis and / or other obstructive diseases of the digestive tract; intestinal diverticulum, intestinal obstruction, regular blood transfusions;
- simultaneous use of parenteral forms of iron.
The drug should be used in children over 12 years of age. It is recommended to use syrup or oral drops for children under 12 years of age.
Use during pregnancy or breastfeeding
The use of the drug during pregnancy or breastfeeding is recommended only after consulting a doctor. A benefit / risk assessment is recommended.
Method of application and dosage
The dose and duration of treatment with the drug depend on the degree of iron deficiency.
Treatment of iron deficiency without anemia. The recommended dose for adolescents 12 years of age and older is 1 tablet of Maltofer (100 mg iron).
Treatment of iron deficiency anemia. The recommended dose for adolescents over 12 years of age and adults is 1-3 tablets of the drug (100-300 mg of iron).
The daily dose of the drug can be taken once or divided into several doses. The drug, chewable tablets, should be taken during or immediately after a meal, they can be swallowed whole.
The duration of treatment of clinically severe iron deficiency is on average 3-5 months before normalization of hemoglobin levels. Thereafter, the drug should be continued at the appropriate dosage for the treatment of latent iron deficiency for the next few weeks to restore iron stores. The duration of treatment of latent iron deficiency without anemia is 1-2 months.
At the moment, there are no official cases of drug overdose.
The drug is well tolerated by patients, however, in case of individual intolerance to its components, patients may develop nausea, impaired stool, vomiting, pain in the epigastric region.
Taking Maltofer is accompanied by darkening of the feces, however, such a symptom is absolutely safe for the patient’s health and has no clinical significance.
Storage conditions and periods
The drug is not recommended to be stored in places that are accessible to children and light. The storage period is 5 years.