The described drug is used in the treatment of the following diseases and conditions: swelling of the brain; cerebral hypertension; intensive care of a convulsive state; ascites; acute hepatic and renal failure with preservation of the filtration capacity of the kidneys and other conditions requiring increased diuresis.
active substance: mannitol;
1 ml of solution contains mannitol 150.0 mg;
Excipients: sodium chloride, water for injections.
Solution for infusion.
This Mannit drug belongs to the group of diuretic solutions.
The active ingredient of the drug has a pronounced diuretic effect. This activity of the substance is due to the increased osmotic pressure in the plasma and the passage of filtration without reabsorption in the tubules.
This mechanism of action contributes to the retention of water in the tubules and an increase in the amount of urine, due to which plasma osmolarity increases. In addition, due to the specified mechanism of action of the drug, the tissue fluid moves into the vascular bed.
Thus, the rate of excretion of fluids from the vascular bed increases, blood flow in the kidneys increases, and, as a consequence, the level of hypoxia in the kidney tissues decreases.
The drug has no effect on glomerular filtration. The diuretic effect promotes the removal of large amounts of sodium ions, but without losses in the content of potassium ions.
The diuretic activity of the active substance depends on the amount and speed of the drug filtered by the kidneys that has entered the body. Therefore, if there is a violation of the filtering function of the kidneys, the medicine will be ineffective.
The drug is capable of causing an increase in the volume of circulating blood, which is due to an increase in osmotic pressure.
The described drug Mannit is used in the treatment of the following diseases and conditions:
- swelling of the brain;
- cerebral hypertension;
- intensive care of a convulsive state;
- acute hepatic and renal failure with preservation of the filtration capacity of the kidneys and other conditions requiring increased diuresis.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
It is contraindicated to use at:
- severe heart failure;
- severe dehydration;
- hyperosmolar state;
- renal failure in violation of the filtering function of the kidneys;
- acute renal failure with anuria more than 12 hours;
- hemorrhagic stroke;
- subarachnoid hemorrhage;
- brain damage, accompanied by a violation of the integrity of the blood-brain barrier;
In pediatrics, the drug is used only for health reasons.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is not recommended for pregnant women – only under strict indications, determined by the attending physician.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, lactation is suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
The method of administration of Mannit is intravenous drip or slow jet. The dosage and rate of administration depend on the indications and the patient’s condition.
The dosage of the drug for adults is 50-100 g, the rate of administration should ensure a diuresis level of at least 30-50 ml / hour.
- With cerebral edema, increased intracranial pressure or glaucoma, the dosage of the drug is 0.25-1 g / kg for 30-60 minutes. With low body weight or for exhausted patients, 0.5 g / kg is sufficient.
- In cases of poisoning, 50-180 g of the drug is administered at a rate that provides a diuresis rate of 100-500 ml / h. The highest dosage is 140-180 g per day.
An overdose of Mannitol is possible if it is administered too quickly in large doses.
This can cause the following phenomena:
- an increase in the volume of extracellular fluid;
- hyponatremia and hyperkalemia,
- overload of the heart;
- dehydration of the body.
As a rule, the drug is well tolerated when used in the recommended doses.
You can observe:
- dehydration of the body;
- violation of the water-salt balance;
- dry skin, rashes, itching, allergic urticaria;
- tachycardia, chest pain, decrease or increase in blood pressure;
- convulsions, hallucinations, headaches;
- dyspeptic symptoms, dry mouth, thirst;
- muscle weakness, phlebitis, facial edema.
If side effects appear, treatment should be interrupted.
Storage conditions and periods
Expiration date – up to 3 years from the production date indicated on the package. Storage periods should not be exceeded.
The storage temperature of Mannit should not exceed 25 ° C. The drug must not be frozen.