Treatment of bacterial infections in adults and children, caused by sensitive microorganisms Medoclav: acute bacterial sinusitis; acute otitis media, confirmed exacerbation of chronic bronchitis; community-acquired pneumonia cystitises; pyelonephritis; skin and soft tissue infections, including cellulite, animal bites, severe dentoalveolar abscesses with common cellulite; infections of bones and joints, including osteomyelitis.
active substances: 1 film-coated tablet contains amoxicillin trihydrate 574 mg, equivalent to 500 mg of amoxicillin; potassium clavulanate 148.9 mg, which is equivalent to 125 mg of clavulanic acid;
excipients: microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycolate (type A), colloidal anhydrous silica, magnesium stearate; the film shell contains: hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, propylene glycol, polyethylene glycol 6000, talc, titanium dioxide (E 171).
This Medoclav antimicrobial drug is a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.
Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic with a broad spectrum of action, and clavulanic acid is an inhibitor of β-lactamases, which creates stable inactive complex compounds with them and protects amoxicillin from decay.
This Medoclav drug has a wide spectrum of antimicrobial activity. It is used to treat:
- mixed infections caused by gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms and anaerobes;
- ENT infections (tonsillitis, including recurrent, sinusitis, otitis media);
- respiratory tract infections (acute bronchitis, exacerbation of chronic, pneumonia);
- infections of bone and connective tissue (including chronic osteomyelitis);
- infections of the skin and soft tissues (including phlegmon, wound infection);
- sexually transmitted diseases (gonorrhea, chancroid);
- urinary tract infections (including cystitis, urethritis, pyelonephritis);
- infections of gynecology (including salpingitis, salpingo-oophoritis, endometritis, septic abortion, pelvioperitonitis);
- infections and postoperative complications of the abdominal cavity.
They are also used to prevent infections during surgical interventions.
This drug has a broad spectrum of antimicrobial action. At the same time, it is active against amoxicillin-sensitive microorganisms, as well as relatively resistant bacteria that synthesize β-lactamases, both gram-positive (streptococci, staphylococci, enterococci, others) and gram-negative (Klebsiella, Shigella, Salmonella, others).
It is not used in case of hypersensitivity to amoxicillin, clavulanic acid, a history of antibiotics of the penicillin group or other components of the drug.
It is contraindicated for use in cholestatic jaundice or hepatitis caused by taking antibiotics of the penicillin group in the past.
The tablet form is not used to treat children under 12 years of age.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
In the presence of obvious indications, this drug can also be used during pregnancy, however, only if the intended benefit from taking it exceeds the possible harm caused to the woman and the child.
The drug passes into breast milk, so lactation must be suspended for the duration of treatment.
Method of administration and dosage Adults and children over 12 years old – 1 tablet 500/125 mg 2 times a day. For severe infections – 875/125 twice a day.
Overdose can cause gastrointestinal disorders (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea), as well as excitation of the central nervous system (agitation, convulsions, insomnia).
Treatment of symptoms and hemodialysis are recommended.
Side effects are most often observed when using the tablet form of the drug. The most common are:
- disorders of the gastrointestinal tract (diarrhea, nausea, vomiting);
- allergic reactions (rash, urticaria, anaphylaxis, allergic vasculitis, erythema polyform);
- agranulocytosis, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, hemolytic anemia;
- dizziness, headache.
Side effects are reduced if the tablet form is taken at the beginning of a meal.
Storage conditions and periods
All forms of the Medoclav preparation retain their properties for 2 years at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C.