Treatment of bacterial infections in adults and children, caused by sensitive microorganisms Medoclav: acute bacterial sinusitis; acute otitis media, confirmed exacerbation of chronic bronchitis; community-acquired pneumonia cystitises; pyelonephritis; skin and soft tissue infections, including cellulite, animal bites, severe dentoalveolar abscesses with common cellulite; infections of bones and joints, including osteomyelitis.
active substances: amoxicillin, clavulanic acid;
1 vial contains amoxicillin sodium equivalent to amoxicillin 1 g and potassium clavulanate equivalent to clavulanic acid 0.2 g
Powder for solution for injection or infusion.
This Medoclav antimicrobial drug is a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.
Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic with a broad spectrum of action, and clavulanic acid is an inhibitor of β-lactamases, which creates stable inactive complex compounds with them and protects amoxicillin from decay.
This Medoclav drug has a wide spectrum of antimicrobial activity. It is used to treat:
- mixed infections caused by gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms and anaerobes;
- ENT infections (tonsillitis, including recurrent, sinusitis, otitis media);
- respiratory tract infections (acute bronchitis, exacerbation of chronic, pneumonia);
- infections of bone and connective tissue (including chronic osteomyelitis);
- infections of the skin and soft tissues (including phlegmon, wound infection);
- sexually transmitted diseases (gonorrhea, chancroid);
- urinary tract infections (including cystitis, urethritis, pyelonephritis);
- infections of gynecology (including salpingitis, salpingo-oophoritis, endometritis, septic abortion, pelvioperitonitis);
- infections and postoperative complications of the abdominal cavity.
They are also used to prevent infections during surgical interventions.
This drug has a broad spectrum of antimicrobial action. At the same time, it is active against amoxicillin-sensitive microorganisms, as well as relatively resistant bacteria that synthesize β-lactamases, both gram-positive (streptococci, staphylococci, enterococci, others) and gram-negative (Klebsiella, Shigella, Salmonella, others).
It is not used in case of hypersensitivity to amoxicillin, clavulanic acid, a history of antibiotics of the penicillin group or other components of the drug.
It is contraindicated for use in cholestatic jaundice or hepatitis caused by taking antibiotics of the penicillin group in the past.
The tablet form is not used to treat children under 12 years of age.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
In the presence of obvious indications, this drug can also be used during pregnancy, however, only if the intended benefit from taking it exceeds the possible harm caused to the woman and the child.
The drug passes into breast milk, so lactation must be suspended for the duration of treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
Medoclav is used in a dose that depends on age, severity of infection, body weight, and the state of the body. The dose is determined by the attending physician.
The injection solution is made by qualified medical personnel and is injected only intravenously – jet (3-5 minutes) or drip (30-40 minutes).
For adults and children over 12 years old and weighing more than 40 kg, the usual dose for moderate infections and for prophylaxis before the behavior of surgical operations is 1.2 grams in total (1000 mg of amoxicillin per 200 mg of clavulanate) every 8 hours, for severe infections – the same dosage every 4-6 hours. The maximum single dose is 6 grams in total, the maximum daily dose is 7.2 grams in total.
Children from 3 months to 12 years old are prescribed the drug at the rate of 25/5 grams per 1 kg of the patient’s weight, every 6-8 hours.
Children under 3 months:
- if we weigh more than 4 kg – 25/5 grams per 1 kg of weight, every 8 hours;
- with a weight of up to 4 kg – the same dosage, but administration no more often than every 12 hours;
- premature and newborn babies – 30 mg 1 kg of weight, interval – 12 hours.
The maximum daily dose for children is 45 mg per kg of body weight.
In severe cases of renal failure, the first injection corresponds to 1.2 mg (total of amoxicillin and clavulanate), with subsequent injections, a halved dose is administered.
With the course of treatment, the patient can be transferred to the parenteral form (tablets), at the decision of the doctor.
Overdose can cause gastrointestinal disorders (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea), as well as excitation of the central nervous system (agitation, convulsions, insomnia).
Treatment of symptoms and hemodialysis are recommended.
Side effects are most often observed when using the tablet form of the drug. The most common are:
- disorders of the gastrointestinal tract (diarrhea, nausea, vomiting);
- allergic reactions (rash, urticaria, anaphylaxis, allergic vasculitis, erythema polyform);
- agranulocytosis, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, hemolytic anemia;
- dizziness, headache.
Side effects are reduced if the tablet form is taken at the beginning of a meal.
Storage conditions and periods
All forms of the Medoclav preparation retain their properties for 2 years at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C.