This drug Medopenem is used to treat infections caused by microorganisms that are susceptible to meropenem. In particular, for treatment: pneumonia, lower respiratory tract infections (cystic fibrosis, pneumonia, including hospital, chronic infections); urogenital infections, urinary tract infections; intra-abdominal infections; gynecological infections (including endometritis, postpartum complications); infections of the skin and soft tissues; bacterial meningitis, septicemia.
active substance: meropenem;
1 vial contains meropenem trihydrate equivalent to 1 g of meropenem;
Excipient: sodium carbonate anhydrous.
Powder for solution for injection or infusion.
This drug belongs to the group of beta-lactam antibiotics – antimicrobial agents used systemically.
Medopenem, which is the main active ingredient of the drug, produces a powerful bactericidal effect due to its ability to penetrate the bacterial cell walls with great ease.
The unusual ease of overcoming the walls of bacteria and high resistance to beta-lactamases (most beta-lactamases), as well as a noticeable manifestation of affinity for the proteins that bind penicillin – all of these factors explain such an extremely powerful bactericidal efficacy against a wide range of aerobic bacteria and bacteria – anaerobes.
Also, the drug is effective relatively against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial strains.
Medopenem effectively fights, in particular, against corynebacteria, enterococci (various strains), leteria, lactobacilli, staphylococci (various strains), streptococci (various strains), rhodococci, acinetobacteria, microorganisms that cause hemophilic lactobacillus, homoelosis peptostreptococci, other aerobes and anaerobes.
This drug Medopenem is used to treat infections caused by microorganisms that are susceptible to meropenem.
In particular, for treatment:
- pneumonia, lower respiratory tract infections (cystic fibrosis, pneumonia, including hospital, chronic infections);
- urogenital infections, urinary tract infections;
- intra-abdominal infections;
- gynecological infections (including endometritis, postpartum complications);
- infections of the skin and soft tissues;
- bacterial meningitis, septicemia.
This drug is not used if the patient is allergic to one of its constituent drugs, including auxiliary drugs.
Contraindications include the danger of use in children who suffer from renal or hepatic insufficiency.
For the treatment of children can be used from 3 years of age.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug can be used to treat pregnant women only if their life is at risk and with careful weighing of the benefit / harm ratio by the attending physician.
Lactation is suspended for the duration of treatment with this drug.
Method of administration and dosage
Both the dosage size and the duration of the treatment process are determined by the attending physician, depending on how the disease progresses and how the patient feels.
Medopenem is administered by intravenous injection (at least 5 minutes) or intravenous infusion (15-30 minutes). The time interval between intravenous injections is 8 hours.
Recommended intravenous dosages for:
- infections and conditions of moderate severity (pneumonia, genitourinary infections, endometritis) appoint 500 mg;
- for infections and conditions of high severity (hospital pneumonia, peritonitis, septicemia), 1 thousand mg of meropenem is prescribed;
- cystic fibrosis – 2 thousand mg meropenem;
- febrile neutropenia – 1,000 mg;
- meningitis – 2 thousand mg of meropenem.
In case of impaired renal function, the dosage is reduced.
Elderly patients and patients with impaired liver function do not need dose adjustment.
Children’s dosage is calculated with a weight of less than 50 kg, based on 25 to 40 mg of meropenem per 1 kg of patient weight, depending on the type of infection and the patient’s condition.
Carbonem should be given by intravenous injection over 5 minutes or intravenous infusion for 15 to 30 minutes.
To dilute the drug, use glucose, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, bicarbonate, mannitol.
When administered, it should not be mixed with other drugs in the same vial.
Shake the finished solution immediately before use.
Overdoses with this drug can cause increased side effects. Most often, side effects occur in patients with impaired renal function.
Symptomatic treatment is recommended.
Hemodialysis will help in removing excess drug from the body.
The drug can cause side reactions in the form of:
- headache, seizures, paresthesias;
- abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, pseudomembranous colitis;
- a transient increase in the concentrations of bilirubin, transaminases, alkaline phosphatase and lactate dehydrogenase in the blood serum;
- angioneurotic edema, symptoms of anaphylaxis;
- rash, pruritus, allergic urticaria, erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and toxic epidermal necrolysis;
- pain, inflammation in the form of phlebitis, thrombophlebitis at the injection site;
- vaginal candidiasis, candidiasis of the oral mucosa.
Storage conditions and periods
Shelf life is 2 years.
Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.
It is necessary to ensure that the preparation is not frozen!