Medrol is used to treat: endocrine diseases: congenital adrenal hyperplasia, primary and secondary adrenal insufficiency; diseases of the musculoskeletal system (including rheumatic ones): juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis; systemic diseases of connective tissues: acute rheumatic heart disease, systemic dermatomyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatic polymyalgia.
active substance: methylprednisolone;
1 tablet contains methylprednisolone 16 mg;
tablets containing 16 mg of methylprednisolone – lactose, monohydrate; corn starch; saccharose; calcium stearate; mineral oil.
Medrol belongs to the group of glucocorticosteroid drugs. The drug helps to stabilize cell membranes, improve microcirculation, and reduce capillary permeability, which leads to a decrease in the development of inflammation. It has anti-inflammatory, immunosuppressive and anti-allergic effects.
Indications for use
Medrol is used to treat:
- endocrine diseases: congenital adrenal hyperplasia, primary and secondary adrenal insufficiency;
- diseases of the musculoskeletal system (including rheumatic ones): juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis;
- systemic diseases of connective tissues: acute rheumatic heart disease, systemic dermatomyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatic polymyalgia;
- skin diseases: bullous dermatitis herpetiformis, pemphigus vulgaris, severe erythema multiforme, severe psoriasis, fungal mycosis, exfoliative dermatitis, severe seborrheic dermatitis;
- allergic conditions: year-round and severe seasonal allergic rhinitis, allergic contact dermatitis, serum sickness, allergic drug reactions, bronchial asthma;
- eye diseases: optic neuritis, posterior and anterior uveitis (iridocyclitis, iritis), sympathetic ophthalmia;
- respiratory diseases: disseminated and fulminant tuberculosis, symptomatic sarcoidosis, berylliosis, aspiration pneumonitis, Leffler’s syndrome;
- hematological diseases: hemolytic anemia, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura;
- oncological diseases: malignant lymphoma, leukemia;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract: ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease;
- multiple sclerosis, tuberculous meningitis (in combination with anti-tuberculosis therapy), transplantation.
Contraindications to the use of the drug are:
- acute peptic ulcer;
- corneal herpes;
- active tuberculosis;
- acute psychoses;
- systemic fungal infections;
- severe diabetes mellitus.
With extreme caution, the solution is used when:
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (intestinal anastomosis, esophagitis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, ulcerative colitis and gastritis);
- before and after vaccination (8 weeks before and 14 days after);
- infectious and parasitic diseases of bacterial, fungal or viral origin (herpes zoster and herpes simplex, tuberculosis, measles, strongyloidosis, chickenpox, systemic mycosis, amebiasis);
- immunodeficiency conditions (including HIV infection or AIDS);
- endocrine diseases (thyrotoxicosis, obesity stage III-IV, diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, Itsenko-Cushing’s disease);
- severe chronic hepatic and renal failure;
- diseases of the cardiovascular system, hyperlipidemia, arterial hypertension, severe chronic heart failure;
- acute psychosis, systemic osteoporosis, open-angle glaucoma, poliomyelitis, angle-closure glaucoma.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding period
During pregnancy, the drug is used only if the result of therapeutic action justifies the expected risk to the fetus (especially in the first trimester). For the period of treatment, breastfeeding should be discontinued.
Mode of application
The course of treatment and the duration of use in each case are selected individually by the doctor, depending on the disease.
The drug in the form of tablets is used after meals, in the morning, every day or every other day.
At the beginning of treatment, 4 mg to 48 mg per day are usually prescribed, for some diseases (multiple sclerosis, cerebral edema), the dose can range from 200 mg to 1000 mg per day, with transplantation – up to 7 mg / kg per day.
For children, the dose is determined solely by the doctor, taking into account the weight and surface of the body.
Cancellation should be done gradually.
In case of overdose, side effects may increase. As a treatment, it is necessary to reduce the dose of the drug.
The use of the drug can cause side effects from:
- endocrine system: in children, delayed sexual development, diabetes mellitus, suppression of the functional activity of the adrenal glands, Itsenko-Cushing’s syndrome (obesity, moon face, hirsutism, dysmenorrhea, increased blood pressure, myasthenia gravis, amenorrhea, striae) are possible.
- digestive system: nausea, pancreatitis, vomiting, decreased or increased appetite, stomach and duodenal ulcers, flatulence, perforation and bleeding of the gastrointestinal tract, erosive esophagitis, hiccups.
- cardiovascular system: bradycardia (including cardiac arrest), arrhythmias, nervous system: vertigo, disorientation, pseudotumor of the cerebellum, delirium, dizziness, euphoria, nervousness, headache, manic-depressive psychosis, paranoia, hallucinations, increased intracranial pressure, insomnia depression, convulsions.
- sensory organs: sudden loss of vision, posterior subcapsular cataract, trophic changes in the cornea, secondary bacterial, viral or fungal eye infections, exophthalmos.
- metabolism: increased body weight, hypocalcemia, increased sweating.
- musculoskeletal system: atrophy, growth retardation in children, “steroid” myopathy, rupture of muscle tendons, osteoporosis.
- mucous membranes and skin: steroid acne, petechiae, striae, delayed wound healing, thinning of the skin, ecchymosis, hypo- or hyperpigmentation, pyoderma and candidiasis.
It is also possible to develop allergic reactions (itching of the skin, skin rash, anaphylactic shock) and local reactions (numbness, burning, pain, infections, paresthesias, scars, necrosis of surrounding tissues, atrophy of the subcutaneous and skin tissue).
To store the drug, Medrol does not require any special conditions: a cool, protected from moisture and light place with a temperature of no more than + 25 ° C, inaccessible to children.
The shelf life of this medication is no more than 3 years.