As part of the complex therapy of coronary heart disease (angina, myocardial infarction, chronic heart failure and dishormonal cardiomyopathy). Acute and chronic disorders of blood supply to the brain (brain strokes and chronic insufficiency of cerebral circulation).
active substance: meldonium;
1 ml of solution contains 3- (2,2,2-trimethylhydrazinium) propionate dihydrate 100 mg;
Excipient: water for injections.
Solution for injection.
This Metamax drug belongs to the number of drugs used in cardiological practice.
The main active ingredient is trimethylhydrazinium propionate. It is a structural analogue of the substance γ-butyrobetaine, which is responsible for improving metabolic processes in the body and for providing cells with energy. This substance is able to reduce the level of carnitine, as well as carnitine-dependent lipid oxidation. During bouts of ischemia, it stabilizes the delivery and consumption of oxygen by cells, activates glycolysis, without requiring an increase in oxygen consumption.
Due to these and other properties, trimethylhydrazinium propionate has various pharmacological effects on the body. In particular, its use helps to increase efficiency, reduces the level of physical and mental fatigue, increases resistance to physical activity, including in violation of the work of the heart muscle, reducing the number of angina attacks.
Tones up the central nervous system, eliminates disturbances in its work, including in chronic alcoholism.
The specified pharmaceutical agent Metamax is used in complex therapy:
- ischemia of the heart, incl. with angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, heart failure in a chronic form, with dyshormonal cardiomyopathy;
- disorders of blood supply to the brain, incl. with cerebral strokes, chronic circulatory failure in the brain;
- disorders of blood supply to the eyes, incl. treatment of hemophthalmos, retinal hemorrhages, retinal vein thrombosis, retinopathy of various origins;
- reduced performance, physical overstrain;
- withdrawal syndrome in chronic alcoholism.
- hypersensitivity to meldonium and / or to any of the excipients of the drug;
- increase in intracranial pressure (in violation of venous outflow, intracranial tumors);
- severe hepatic and / or renal insufficiency (insufficient data on safety);
- children’s age;
- pregnancy, breastfeeding.
It is not used in pediatrics until the age of 18.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy, the use of this drug is contraindicated.
If there is a need to take the drug during lactation, then it should be suspended for the period of treatment.
Method of application and dosage
Apply intravenously. The use of the drug Metamax does not require special preparation before administration. Due to the possible excitatory effect, the drug is recommended to be used in the morning.
Diseases of the heart and vascular system; cerebral circulatory disorders.
The dose is 500−1000 mg (5−10 ml) per day, the dose is administered at once or in 2 doses. The maximum daily dose is 1000 mg.
Reduced efficiency, physical and psycho-emotional stress and recovery period after cerebrovascular disorders, head injuries and encephalitis.
The dose is 500 mg (5 ml) per day. The maximum daily dose is 500 mg.
The duration of treatment is usually 10 – 14 days, after which treatment should be continued in oral dosage form.
No cases of meldonium overdose have been reported. The drug is low-toxic and does not cause threatening side effects.
At the lowered arterial pressure headaches, dizziness, tachycardia, the general weakness are possible. Treatment is symptomatic.
In case of severe overdose, liver and kidney function should be monitored.
Hemodialysis is not significant in meldonium overdose due to severe binding to blood proteins.
- From the respiratory system, chest and mediastinum: respiratory infections; rarely – sore throat, cough, dyspnea, apnea.
- From the gastrointestinal tract: dyspepsia; rarely – dysgeusia (metallic taste in the mouth), loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, flatulence, diarrhea, abdominal pain, dry mouth or hypersalivation.
- From the metabolic side, metabolism: dyslipidemia, increased C-reactive protein.
- From the nervous system: headaches; rarely – paresthesias, tremor, hypoaesthesia, tinnitus, dizziness, gait disturbances, unconsciousness, fainting, vertigo.
- From the psyche: agitation, fear, obsessions, sleep disorders.
- From the cardiovascular system: palpitations, tachycardia / sinus tachycardia, atrial fibrillation, arrhythmia, chest discomfort / chest pain, change in heart rate, increase / decrease in blood pressure, hypertensive crisis, redness, pallor.
- On the part of the immune system: allergic reactions, hypersensitivity, including allergic dermatitis, urticaria, angioneurotic edema, anaphylactic reactions up to shock.
- From the skin and subcutaneous tissue: rash, general macular / papular rash, itching.
Store in the original package at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C. Do not freeze.
Keep out of reach of children.