As part of the complex therapy of coronary heart disease (angina, myocardial infarction, chronic heart failure and dishormonal cardiomyopathy). Acute and chronic disorders of blood supply to the brain (brain strokes and chronic insufficiency of cerebral circulation).
active substance: meldonium;
1 capsule contains 3- (2,2,2-trimethylhydrazinium) propionate dihydrate 250 mg;
excipients: potato starch, colloidal anhydrous silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate.
This Metamax drug belongs to the number of drugs used in cardiological practice.
The main active ingredient is trimethylhydrazinium propionate. It is a structural analogue of the substance γ-butyrobetaine, which is responsible for improving metabolic processes in the body and for providing cells with energy. This substance is able to reduce the level of carnitine, as well as carnitine-dependent lipid oxidation. During bouts of ischemia, it stabilizes the delivery and consumption of oxygen by cells, activates glycolysis, without requiring an increase in oxygen consumption.
Due to these and other properties, trimethylhydrazinium propionate has various pharmacological effects on the body. In particular, its use helps to increase efficiency, reduces the level of physical and mental fatigue, increases resistance to physical activity, including in violation of the work of the heart muscle, reducing the number of angina attacks.
Tones up the central nervous system, eliminates disturbances in its work, including in chronic alcoholism.
The specified pharmaceutical agent Metamax is used in complex therapy:
- ischemia of the heart, incl. with angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, heart failure in a chronic form, with dyshormonal cardiomyopathy;
- disorders of blood supply to the brain, incl. with cerebral strokes, chronic circulatory failure in the brain;
- disorders of blood supply to the eyes, incl. treatment of hemophthalmos, retinal hemorrhages, retinal vein thrombosis, retinopathy of various origins;
- reduced performance, physical overstrain;
- withdrawal syndrome in chronic alcoholism.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
Also contraindicated for:
- increased intracranial pressure, including disorders of venous outflow;
- intracranial tumor;
- organic damage to the central nervous system;
- severe violations of the liver or kidneys.
Do not use with other drugs containing meldonium.
It is not used in pediatrics until the age of 18.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy, the use of this drug is contraindicated.
If there is a need to take the drug during lactation, then it should be suspended for the period of treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
This Metamax is taken by mouth with plenty of fluids.
- diseases of the CVS, cerebral circulation – 500 mg-1 thousand mg per day, in 1 or 2 doses, treatment lasts 2-6 weeks;
- cardialgia – 500 mg per day, in 1 or 2 doses, treatment lasts 12 days;
- the acute phase of circulatory disorders of the brain – 10 days by injection, then switch to the oral form at 500 mg – 1 thousand mg in 1-2 doses, treatment lasts 4-6 weeks, in the chronic form, courses are repeated 2-3 times a year;
- mental and physical activity – 250 mg 4 times a day (athletes – 500 mg 2 times a day before training), treatment lasts 10-14 days, repeated courses of therapy are possible no earlier than 2-3 weeks;
- chronic alcoholism – 500 mg 4 times a day, treatment lasts from 7 to 10 days.
Correction of the duration of treatment, more accurate dosage and its correction are determined individually by the attending physician.
Overdose has not been observed at the moment due to the low toxicity of the drug. In case of an overdose in patients with low blood pressure, headaches, dizziness, tachycardia, weakness are possible.
Treatment is symptomatic. Hemodialysis is ineffective.
When treating with this drug, side effects may occur such as:
- allergic reactions, incl. allergic urticaria, anaphylactic shock, angioedema;
- CNS excitement, fears, insomnia;
- paresthesias, tremors, fainting;
- tachycardia, arrhythmia;
- fluctuations in blood pressure;
- respiratory tract infections, cough, shortness of breath, apnea;
- dyspepsia, dysgeusia, nausea, dry mouth, dyslipidemia;
- pollacuria, weakness, chills, swelling of the face and legs, feeling of cold;
- myalgia, convulsions;
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life is no more than 2 years.
Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.