This Metoclopramid product is used to prevent nausea and vomiting. In particular, it is effective for the prevention of: nausea, vomiting caused by radiation therapy; delayed nausea, vomiting caused by chemotherapy; nausea, vomiting caused by acute migraine. In pediatrics, this drug is prescribed for the prevention of delayed nausea, vomiting, caused by chemotherapy, as a second-line drug.
active substance: metoclopramide;
1 tablet contains metoclopramide hydrochloride 10 mg;
excipients: potato starch, lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, calcium stearate.
This drug is part of a group of drugs that are used in therapy in oncological practice, as an antiemetic. It is applied systemically. The main component of metoclopramide has the property of preventing the development of vomiting and nausea, stimulating the motility of the gastrointestinal tract.
Metoclopramide is a central antagonist of dopamine receptors (affects the central nervous system), and is also capable of exhibiting peripheral activity. Blocks serotonin receptors, inhibiting relaxation of the smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal tract. At the same time, metoclopramide increases activity in the antrum of the stomach in the upper small intestine.
The use of Metoclopramid also helps to accelerate bowel movement, the movement of food in the small intestine. Temporarily retains fluid.
This Metoclopramid product is used to prevent nausea and vomiting. In particular, it is effective for the prevention of:
- nausea, vomiting caused by radiation therapy;
- delayed nausea, vomiting caused by chemotherapy;
- nausea, vomiting caused by acute migraine.
In pediatrics, this drug is prescribed for the prevention of delayed nausea, vomiting, caused by chemotherapy, as a second-line drug.
The considered drug Metoclopramid is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
Also, use is contraindicated in:
- gastrointestinal bleeding, incl. with perforation of the gastrointestinal tract;
- mechanical intestinal obstruction;
- confirmed or suspected pheochromocytoma (due to the risk of developing attacks of severe arterial hypertension);
- tardive dyskinesia due to metoclopramide or antipsychotics, in the past;
- epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, predisposition to seizures;
- while taking levodopa, dopaminergic agonists;
- prolactin-dependent tumors;
- bronchial asthma.
In pediatrics, it is used from the age of 12 months from the date of birth.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy, the use of this drug is contraindicated.
If there is a need to take the drug during lactation, then it should be suspended for the period of treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
The dosage, regimens and duration of Metoclopramid treatment are determined by the attending physician individually, depending on the nature and course of the disease.
Metoclopramide tablets are taken orally before meals with water.
- adults – 10 mg up to 3 times / day, maximum – 30 mg / day or 0.5 mg per 1 kg of patient weight;
- children’s dosage – 0.1-0.15 mg / kg up to 3 times a day, maximum – 0.5 mg per 1 kg of body weight.
The duration of the course of treatment is from 5 days or longer, as prescribed by the doctor.
Overdose can lead to increased side effects. In particular, there may be:
- depression, drowsiness;
- confusion, anxiety, irritability;
- convulsions, extrapyramidal disorders;
- bradycardia, hallucinations;
- increase or decrease in blood pressure, cardiac arrest and breathing;
Treatment is symptomatic. Recommended gastric lavage, intake of enterosorbents.
The use of this drug can cause side effects, including:
- nausea, dry mouth, dyspepsia, constipation, diarrhea;
- facial muscle spasm, bulbar speech type, blepharospasm, muscle cramps, muscle hypertonicity, parkinsonism, tardive dyskinesia, fever, headache, drowsiness, dizziness, asthenia, depressed consciousness, anxiety;
- depression, confusion, hallucinations, anxiety;
- bradycardia, cardiac arrest, bradycardia, extrasystole, shock, arterial hypotension;
- methemoglobinemia, sulfhemoglobinemia;
- Quincke’s edema, anaphylactic shock, bronchospasm, rashes, urticaria, hyperemia, itching of the skin;
- hyperprolactinemia, galactorrhea, amenorrhea, gynecomastia, menstrual irregularities.
Storage conditions and periods
Shelf life is 2 years.
Storage temperature Metoclopramid – no higher than 25 ° С.