This Metoclopramid product is used to prevent nausea and vomiting. In particular, it is effective for the prevention of: nausea, vomiting caused by radiation therapy; delayed nausea, vomiting caused by chemotherapy; nausea, vomiting caused by acute migraine. In pediatrics, this drug is prescribed for the prevention of delayed nausea, vomiting, caused by chemotherapy, as a second-line drug.
active substance: metoclopramide;
1 ml of solution contains metoclopramide hydrochloride 5 mg;
excipients: sodium chloride, disodium edetate, sodium sulfite anhydrous (E 221), propylene glycol, diluted hydrochloric acid, water for injection.
This drug is part of a group of drugs that are used in therapy in oncological practice, as an antiemetic. It is applied systemically. The main component of metoclopramide has the property of preventing the development of vomiting and nausea, stimulating the motility of the gastrointestinal tract.
Metoclopramide is a central antagonist of dopamine receptors (affects the central nervous system), and is also capable of exhibiting peripheral activity. Blocks serotonin receptors, inhibiting relaxation of the smooth muscles of the gastrointestinal tract. At the same time, metoclopramide increases activity in the antrum of the stomach in the upper small intestine.
The use of Metoclopramid also helps to accelerate bowel movement, the movement of food in the small intestine. Temporarily retains fluid.
This Metoclopramid product is used to prevent nausea and vomiting. In particular, it is effective for the prevention of:
- nausea, vomiting caused by radiation therapy;
- delayed nausea, vomiting caused by chemotherapy;
- nausea, vomiting caused by acute migraine.
In pediatrics, this drug is prescribed for the prevention of delayed nausea, vomiting, caused by chemotherapy, as a second-line drug.
The considered drug Metoclopramid is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
Also, use is contraindicated in:
- gastrointestinal bleeding, incl. with perforation of the gastrointestinal tract;
- mechanical intestinal obstruction;
- confirmed or suspected pheochromocytoma (due to the risk of developing attacks of severe arterial hypertension);
- tardive dyskinesia due to metoclopramide or antipsychotics, in the past;
- epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, predisposition to seizures;
- while taking levodopa, dopaminergic agonists;
- prolactin-dependent tumors;
- bronchial asthma.
Metoclopramide is contraindicated in children under 1 year of age.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy, the use of this drug is contraindicated.
If there is a need to take the drug during lactation, then it should be suspended for the period of treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
The solution for injection is administered intramuscularly or intravenously as a slow bolus injection for at least 3 minutes.
Use 0.9% sodium chloride solution, 5% glucose solution as a solvent.
The drug is prescribed in a dose of 10 mg up to 3 times a day. The maximum daily dose is 30 mg or 0.5 mg / kg of body weight.
The use of injectable forms should take place within the shortest possible period of time with the fastest possible transition to the use of oral or rectal forms of metoclopramide.
- For children
When used to prevent postoperative nausea and vomiting, metoclopramide should be used after surgery.
The recommended dose of metoclopramide is 0.1–0.15 mg / kg of body weight up to 3 times a day. The maximum daily dose is 0.5 mg / kg body weight. If it is necessary to continue using the drug, at least 6-hour intervals should be observed.
Dosing regimen for age and body weight:
- 1-3 years – 10-14 kg – 1 mg – up to 3 times a day;
- 3-5 years – 15-19 kg – 2 mg – up to 3 times a day;
- 5-9 years – 20-29 kg – 2.5 mg – up to 3 times a day;
- 9-18 years old – 30-60 kg – 5 mg – up to 3 times a day;
- 15-18 years – >60 kg – 10 mg – up to 3 times a day.
The maximum duration of use of metoclopramide for the treatment of established postoperative nausea and vomiting is 48 hours.
The maximum duration of use of metoclopramide to prevent delayed nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy is 5 days.
Overdose can lead to increased side effects. In particular, there may be:
- depression, drowsiness;
- confusion, anxiety, irritability;
- convulsions, extrapyramidal disorders;
- bradycardia, hallucinations;
- increase or decrease in blood pressure, cardiac arrest and breathing;
Treatment is symptomatic. Recommended gastric lavage, intake of enterosorbents.
The use of this drug can cause side effects, including:
- nausea, dry mouth, dyspepsia, constipation, diarrhea;
- facial muscle spasm, bulbar speech type, blepharospasm, muscle cramps, muscle hypertonicity, parkinsonism, tardive dyskinesia, fever, headache, drowsiness, dizziness, asthenia, depressed consciousness, anxiety;
- depression, confusion, hallucinations, anxiety;
- bradycardia, cardiac arrest, bradycardia, extrasystole, shock, arterial hypotension;
- methemoglobinemia, sulfhemoglobinemia;
- Quincke’s edema, anaphylactic shock, bronchospasm, rashes, urticaria, hyperemia, itching of the skin;
- hyperprolactinemia, galactorrhea, amenorrhea, gynecomastia, menstrual irregularities.
Keep out of the reach of children in the original packaging at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C. Do not freeze.