Metrogyl Denta is prescribed for the local treatment of infectious and inflammatory diseases of the periodontal (tissues surrounding the tooth) and oral mucosa: with acute / chronic gingivitis (edematous, atrophic, hyperplastic); with acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis of Vincent; with aphthous stomatitis; with periodontitis, periodontal abscess.
Metrogyl Denta composition
active substances: metronidazole benzoate, chlorhexidine gluconate;
1 g of gel contains metronidazole benzoate in terms of metronidazole – 10 mg, chlorhexidine gluconate solution 20% in terms of chlorhexidine digluconate – 0.5 mg;
Excipients: carbomer, propylene glycol, saccharin sodium, disodium edetate (Trilon B), trometamol, lemon oil, purified water.
Gel for gums.
It is a combined antimicrobial agent used in dentistry. Efficiency is ensured by the presence of two components – metronidazole and chlorhexidine. Metronidazole is a 5-nitroimidazole. The mechanism of its action is due to the ability to interact with deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) of cells of microorganisms. In this case, the production of nucleic acids is inhibited and bacteria die. Active against protozoa: Entamoeba histolytica, Trichomonas vagіnalis, Giardia lamblia, as well as facultative anaerobes Bacteroides spp. (Bacteroides ovatus, Bacteroides fragilis, Bacteroides distasonis, Bacteroides thetaiotaomіcron, Bacteroides vulgaris), Prevotella spp. (Prevotella buccae, Prevotella bivia, Prevotella disiens), Fusobacterium spp., Veіllonella spp., Some facultative obligate (Clostridium spp.), Facultative (Eubacterіum spp., Peptococcus spp., Peptococcus spp., Peptostreptob. Gardnerella vaginalis. Aerobes are insensitive to metronidazole, but in the presence of mixed flora (anaerobes + aerobes), it acts synergistically with antibiotics. Chlorhexidine is a bactericidal antiseptic (kills bacteria). Active against a wide range of vegetative forms of gram-negative and gram-positive microorganisms, as well as yeast, dermatophytes and lipophilic viruses.
Metrogyl Denta is prescribed for the local treatment of infectious and inflammatory diseases of the periodontal (tissues surrounding the tooth) and oral mucosa:
- with acute / chronic gingivitis (edematous, atrophic, hyperplastic);
- with acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis of Vincent;
- with aphthous stomatitis;
- with periodontitis, periodontal abscess.
Metrogyl Denta should not be prescribed:
- if you are allergic to metronidazole, other nitroimidazole derivatives;
- if you are allergic to chlorhexidine;
- with intolerance to auxiliary components.
Contraindicated in children under 14 years of age.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This medication is contraindicated during pregnancy.
The active components are able to penetrate into breast milk, therefore, breastfeeding during the treatment period should be canceled. You can resume feeding no earlier than 48 hours after the end of the use of this medication.
Method of administration and dosage
Metrogyl Denta is applied topically (for the treatment of gums and oral mucosa).
- Adults and children over 14 years old with gingivitis (inflammation of the gums), the gel must be applied to the gums 2 times / day. After applying the gel, do not rinse your mouth, take food and drinks for 15 minutes. The average duration of treatment for gingivitis is 7-10 days.
- In case of aphthous stomatitis, the gel is applied to the affected areas of the mucous membrane 2 times / day. The average duration of stomatitis treatment is 7-10 days.
Treatment should not last more than 10 days and should be repeated more often 2-3 times a year.
Overdose cases of Metrogyl Denta gel have not been described.
In case of accidental ingestion, the following symptoms can be observed: vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, impaired coordination, paresthesia, metallic taste in the mouth, dizziness, convulsions.
Oral treatment: gastric lavage, supportive therapy.
- Local reactions: irritation, itching, burning.
- Digestive disorders: change in taste, dry mouth, metallic taste, nausea, loss of appetite, constipation / diarrhea.
- Neurological disorders: dizziness, headache.
- Allergic reactions: itching, hives, rash.
- General: Red-brown urine staining.
Storage conditions and periods
Store Metrogyl Denta at 15–25 ° С for no more than 3 years.