Infections caused by sensitive to the medication microorganisms: amoebiasis; urogenital trichomoniasis; non-specific vaginitis; giardiasis; surgical infections caused by anaerobic microorganisms sensitive to metronidazole. As a replacement for intravenous treatment of infections caused by metronidazole-sensitive anaerobic microorganisms.
active substance: 1 tablet contains metronidazole 250 mg;
excipients: pregelatinized starch, hypromellose, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose, stearic acid.
It is an antiprotozoal and antibacterial medicine. The active substance interacts with the DNA of microbial cells, inhibiting the production of nucleic acids, causing the death of the bacteria. In combination with amoxicillin, it is effective against Helicobacter pylori. Not used against aerobes, facultative anaerobes.
Metronidazol is prescribed:
- with trichomoniasis with clinical manifestations in women and men, if the presence of Trichomonas was confirmed by appropriate laboratory tests (smear, culture);
- with asymptomatic trichomoniasis (endocervicitis, cervicitis, cervical erosion);
- for the treatment of a sexual partner with asymptomatic T. vaginalis infection or if the pathogen has not been isolated;
- with acute amebiasis (amoebic dysentery), liver abscess caused by amoebae;
- with anaerobic bacterial infection (peritonitis, intra-abdominal abscess, liver abscess caused by Bacteroides;
- in case of infection of skin structures caused by Bacteroides, Clostridium, Peptostreptococcus, Peptococcusniger, Fusobacterium;
- with gynecological infections (endometritis, tubo-ovarian abscess, endomyometritis, infection during gynecological operations) caused by Bacteroides, Peptococcusniger, Clostridium, Peptostreptococcus;
- with bacterial septicemia (pathogen entering the blood) caused by Bacteroides, Clostridium;
- with infections of bones, joints caused by Bacteroides species;
- with infections of the nervous system (meningitis, brain abscess) caused by Bacteroides;
- with infections of the lower respiratory tract (empyema, pneumonia, lung abscess) caused by Bacteroides;
- with endocarditis (inflammation of the inner lining of the heart) caused by Bacteroides.
You can not prescribe this medicine for allergies to ingredients (active or auxiliary), leukopenia – a decrease in the number of white blood cells, organic (non-infectious) brain lesions (including epilepsy), liver failure, granulomatous enteritis (Crohn’s disease), under six years old, in the first trimester of pregnancy. It is prescribed with caution in the II-III trimesters of pregnancy, as well as in case of impaired renal / liver function.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Only as directed by a physician and under his supervision.
Method of administration and dosage
The tablet Metronidazol is swallowed whole during or after a meal.
- With trichomoniasis, a one-day course of treatment is prescribed (in cases where there is a high probability that the patient will not follow the treatment regimen) – 2000 mg one-time or divided into two doses of 1000 mg. One day treatment is indicated. Usually a seven-day course is prescribed – 250 mg x3 times / day.
- With intestinal amebiasis, adults are prescribed 750 mg x3 times / day for 5-10 days, with liver abscess – 500 mg or 750 mg x3 times / day for 5-10 days. Children – 35–50 mg / kg / day, divided into 3 divided doses, for 10 days.
- In the treatment of anaerobic bacterial infections, adults are prescribed 7.5 mg / kg every six hours (about 500 mg for a person weighing 70 kg). The maximum dose is 4000 mg / day. The duration of treatment is 7-10 days.
Overdose symptoms: urge to vomit, lack of appetite, convulsions.
Overdose treatment: urgent gastric lavage, intake of enterosorbents, treatment depending on the disorders that have arisen. There is no special antidote, active molecules are removed from the body using hemodialysis. Peritoneal dialysis is not used.
Frequent adverse reactions include nausea, loose stools, lack of appetite, supra-gastric discomfort, intestinal colic, abdominal cramps, constipation, and headache.
Other side reactions are also possible: disorders of the digestive system (metallic taste, dry mouth, feeling of unevenness of the tongue, inflammation of the tongue, stomatitis), changes in the blood test (reversible neutropenia, persistent thrombocytopenia), cardiac disorders (changes on the ECG – flattening T-wave), disorders of the nervous system (encephalopathy, aseptic meningitis – inflammation of the meninges, seizures, impaired coordination, peripheral neuropathy, optic neuropathy – changes in the optic nerve, dizziness, excitability, hallucinations, confusion, dysarthria – speech disorders, irritability, insomnia, depression), allergic reactions (urticaria, redness of the skin, joint pain, erythematous rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, hot flashes, toxic epidermal necrolysis, nasal congestion, fever, dry mouth, vagina, vulva), disorders of co sides of the excretory system (violation of urination nia, cystitis, urinary incontinence, dark urine, vaginal candidiasis, dyspareunia – discomfort during intercourse), decreased sex drive, proctitis – inflammation of the rectum).
Storage conditions and periods
The drug Metronidazol should be stored in its original (factory) packaging with low humidity, temperature conditions within 15–25 ° C, and no direct sunlight. The maximum shelf life of the tablets is indicated on the packaging. It is usually 5 years old.
Parents have a responsibility to ensure the safety of their children by restricting access to medication.