Infections caused by sensitive to the medication microorganisms: amoebiasis; urogenital trichomoniasis; non-specific vaginitis; giardiasis; surgical infections caused by anaerobic microorganisms sensitive to metronidazole. As a replacement for intravenous treatment of infections caused by metronidazole-sensitive anaerobic microorganisms.
active substance: metronidazole;
1 suppository contains metronidazole 0.1 g (100 mg);
excipient: solid fat.
Metronidazol belongs to nitro-5-imidazoles and has a broad spectrum of action. The limiting concentrations that allow to differentiate sensitive strains (S) from strains with moderate sensitivity, and strains with moderate sensitivity – from resistant strains (R), are the following: S ≤ 4 mg / l and R> 4 mg / l.
Sensitive to the drug: Peptostreptococcus spp., Clostridium spp., Bacteroides spp., Fusobacterium spp., Porphyromonas, Bilophila, Helicobacter pylori, Prevotella spp., Veilonella. Metronidazole inhibits the development of protozoa – Trichomonas vaginalis, Giardia intestinalis (Lamblia intestinalis), Entamoeba histolytica.
Instantly sensitive to the drug: Bifidobacterium spp., Eubacterium spp.
Insensitive strains of microorganisms: Propionibacterium, Actinomyces, Mobiluncus.
Local treatment of Trichomonas and nonspecific vaginitis.
Sich Metronidazol should not be prescribed:
- if you are allergic to metronidazole, other nitroimidazole derivatives;
- with intolerance to the components;
- with blood diseases, leukopenia (including in the past);
- with diseases of the central nervous system (including epilepsy);
- in case of impaired coordination of movements;
- with liver failure (with the appointment of large doses);
- during pregnancy (in the first trimester);
- during lactation;
- children under 18.
It is used with caution in the II-III trimesters of pregnancy.
The drug should not be used in children.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This medication is contraindicated in the first trimester of pregnancy; in the future, it should be used only if the benefits to the mother’s health outweigh the possible risk to the fetus.
Metronidazol is able to pass into breast milk, therefore, breastfeeding during the treatment period should be canceled. You can resume feeding no earlier than 48 hours after the end of the medication.
Method of application and dosage The drug can be used to treat only adult patients.
- Trichomonas vaginitis. Assign 2 vaginal suppositories 2 times a day for 10 days. The suppository is inserted deep into the vagina. Treatment should be carried out with concomitant oral administration of Metronidazol tablets.
- Nonspecific vaginitis. 2 vaginal suppositories are inserted deep into the vagina, 2 times a day for 7 days. If necessary, you can prescribe Metronidazole tablets orally. Simultaneous treatment of the patient’s sexual partner is absolutely necessary, even if he has no symptoms of infection.
The maximum duration of treatment with Metronidazole should not exceed 10 days, and the number of courses of treatment – 2-3 per year.
Overdose symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, itching, impaired coordination, metallic taste in the mouth, paresthesia, dizziness, convulsions, dark urine, leukopenia.
Overdose treatment: in case of accidental ingestion – gastric lavage, symptomatic, supportive therapy.
- Local reactions: irritation, pain in the vagina, itching, burning, thick mucous membranes, white vaginal discharge, frequent urination, vaginal candidiasis, burning sensation, irritation of the penis and sexual partner.
- Digestive disorders: dry mouth, nausea, change in taste, “metallic taste”, spasmodic abdominal pain, loss of appetite, constipation or diarrhea.
- Neurological disorders: headache, dizziness.
- Changes in hematopoiesis: leukopenia, leukocytosis.
- Allergic reactions: itching of the skin, hives, rash.
- Red-brown staining of urine may be observed.
Storage conditions and periods
At 15-25 ° С. Candles have a shelf life of 3 years.