Symptomatic therapy of dyspeptic phenomena: spasms, intestinal disorders. It is effective for irritable bowel syndrome, spastic manifestations of pain in the gastrointestinal tract, provoked by concomitant diseases.
active substance: mebeverine;
1 capsule contains mebeverine hydrochloride, pellets containing the substance, in terms of mebeverine hydrochloride – 200 mg;
auxiliary substances that are part of the pellets: sucrose, corn starch, povidone, ethyl cellulose, talc, shellac.
It is a myotropic antispasmodic agent that reduces peristalsis (undulating contractions of the walls) of the intestine, reduces the tone of its muscle layer. Blocks sodium channels of smooth muscle cell membranes, blocking the entry of Na ions into the cell. This medicine is used for functional disorders of the motility of the digestive tract, accompanied by pain of a spastic nature, as well as for intestinal spasms as a result of organic diseases of the digestive organs.
Meverin is prescribed:
- with gastrointestinal spasms caused by organic pathology of the digestive system;
- for the symptomatic treatment of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), which is accompanied by symptoms such as alternating constipation and diarrhea, recurrent diarrhea, spasms, postprandial (occurring after eating) pain and discomfort;
- with functional disorders from the side of the biliary tract / gallbladder (hyperkinetic or hypertensive type).
- with hypersensitivity to mebeverin;
- with intolerance to the auxiliary components of the capsules;
- with paralytic intestinal obstruction (paralytic ileus);
- patients with porphyria.
It is prescribed with caution in patients with severe liver / kidney failure, heart block.
It should be borne in mind that prolonged use of the drug in patients with hereditary blood diseases may be accompanied by unwanted disorders, including disorders of the nervous system.
It is used in pediatric practice for children from 10 years old.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Meverin is not prescribed during these periods.
Method of administration and dosage
Meverin capsules are intended for oral administration (by mouth) with a sufficient amount of water. It is not recommended to chew or open the capsule as its coating is intended to provide a gradual release of drug molecules.
The recommended dose for children over 10 years of age, adults – 1 capsule (200 mg) x 2 times / day (taken in the morning and in the evening). The duration of drug use is determined by clinical efficacy and is not limited.
In case of an overdose of Meverin, the development of cardiovascular disorders, as well as reactions associated with excitation of the central nervous system, is assumed. The specific antidote to mebeverine is unknown.
In case of an overdose, symptomatic treatment is performed. The need for gastric lavage (within an hour from the moment of taking the medication) appears only in case of poisoning with several pharmacological drugs at once.
- Digestive system disorders: stool changes (diarrhea, constipation).
- Nervous system disorders: dizziness, depressive disorders, headache.
- Skin disorders: facial edema, hyperemia, skin rashes, hemorrhagic rash, urticaria, angioedema.
- General disorders: manifestations of allergies (including anaphylactic reactions).
Storage conditions and periods
Meverin must be stored in its original, undamaged packaging at low humidity, no direct sunlight. Temperature range: 15-30 ° C. The shelf life is 2 years. Parents are obliged to ensure that medicines are not available to children.