With chronic pancreatitis; with pancreatectomy (removal of the pancreas); with gastrectomy (removal of the stomach); with Billroth II resection (gastrointestinal anastomosis); with cystic fibrosis; with obstruction (blockage) of the pancreatic / common bile duct (stone or tumor); with pancreatic cancer; with congenital hypoplasia (underdevelopment) of the pancreas, incl. Schwachman-Diamond syndrome; in acute pancreatitis – from the moment of switching to enteral nutrition; with other diseases accompanied by insufficiency of the exocrine part of the gland.
Mezim Forte 10000 composition Active substance:
1 enteric tablet
powder with pancreas (pigs) 80.00-111.111 mg
has a minimum lipolytic activity of 10,000 IU EP (units of the European Pharmacopoeia), a minimum amylolytic activity of 7,500 IU EP, a minimum proteolytic activity of 375 IU EP
Excipients: lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal anhydrous silicon dioxide, crospovidone, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, methacrylate copolymer (type A), triethyl citrate, titanium dioxide (E 171), talc, simethicorubine, sodium polyethylene glycol E 122), sodium hydroxide.
It is an enzymatic medicine that improves digestion. Contains enzymes of the pancreas that break down carbohydrates, fats, proteins, promoting their complete absorption in the small intestine.
Mezim Forte 10000 is prescribed in case of insufficiency of the exocrine pancreas caused by various conditions:
- with chronic pancreatitis;
- with pancreatectomy (removal of the pancreas);
- with gastrectomy (removal of the stomach);
- with Billroth II resection (gastrointestinal anastomosis);
- with cystic fibrosis;
- with obstruction (blockage) of the pancreatic / common bile duct (stone or tumor);
- with pancreatic cancer;
- with congenital hypoplasia (underdevelopment) of the pancreas, incl. Schwachman-Diamond syndrome;
- in acute pancreatitis – from the moment of switching to enteral nutrition;
- with other diseases accompanied by insufficiency of the exocrine part of the gland.
- with allergy to pancreatin;
- with intolerance to excipients;
- with acute pancreatitis;
- with gallstone disease;
- with liver failure;
- with hepatitis;
- with obstructive jaundice;
- with obstructive intestinal obstruction.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
There are no data on the effect of pancreatic enzyme preparations on the course of pregnancy or the condition of the fetus. Application is possible only on the recommendation of a doctor.
Method of administration and dosage
Mezim Forte 10000 is intended for oral administration (inside).
Dosage is determined individually, taking into account individual characteristics, the degree of indigestion, diet.
Standard dosage: initial dose of 10,000–25,000 FIP / U (lipase) for each meal.
The maintenance dose of the drug should not exceed 4000 FIP / U of lipase per gram of fat consumed or 10,000 FIP / U / kg / day.
It is important to drink plenty of fluids while using this medication, as not enough fluid can cause constipation.
The use of Mezim Forte 10000 (or other enzyme pharmaceuticals) in very high doses may be accompanied by hyperuricosuria (an increase in the level of uric acid in the blood), hyperuricemia (an increase in the level of uric acid in the urine). In patients with cystic fibrosis, when using high doses of this pharmaceutical agent, narrowings may occur in the ascending part of the colon, ileocecal region.
In case of an overdose, it is necessary to assess the patient’s condition by a specialist and conduct symptomatic therapy.
- Digestive disorders: flatulence (bloating), vomiting, changes in stool, abdominal pain / discomfort, constipation / diarrhea.
- Urinary disorders: when used in high doses in patients with cystic fibrosis, an increased excretion of uric acid in the urine is possible, therefore, in such patients it is necessary to monitor its value in the urine (in order to avoid the formation of uric acid stones).
- Immune disorders: manifestations of allergies, incl. skin rashes, bronchospasm, sneezing, lacrimation, itching. In isolated cases, severe allergic reactions may occur, accompanied by shortness of breath, swelling of the face, a drop in blood pressure (Quincke’s edema, anaphylactic shock).
Storage conditions and periods
Store Mezim Forte 10000 in intact original packaging in a place protected from moisture, sunlight, no more than 3 years. Parents should ensure that medications are not available to children.