Treatment of dermatoses sensitive to potent glucocorticosteroid therapy, such as psoriasis; initial treatment of severe atopic eczema.
active substance: betamethasone;
1 g of the drug contains betamethasone (in the form of betamethasone valerate (in terms of 100% dry matter)) – 1 mg;
excipients: methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E 218), propylene glycol, white soft paraffin, mineral oil, cetostearyl alcohol, macrogol cetostearyl ether, disodium edetate, sodium hydrogen phosphate dodecahydrate, potassium dihydrogen phosphate, purified water.
Mezoderm is a corticosteroid that is intended for dermatological use.
Specifically, betamethasone is a synthetic fluorinated adrenocorticosteroid that is used topically.
This substance has a high glucocorticosteroid activity, and at the same time – a minimal mineralocorticoid effect. Produces anti-inflammatory, immunosuppressive, antipruritic, antiproliferative and vasoconstrictor effects.
It is a synthetic analogue of prednisolone. Like all corticosteroids, it helps to reduce the release, formation, and activity of chemical elements that mediate the inflammatory process. These include kinins, histamines, lysosomal enzymes, prostaglandins.
It has the property of inhibiting cell migration into the cell, to the damaged site, causing a decrease in vasodilation and increased permeability of veins, arteries and capillaries at the site of injury. As a consequence of this vasoconstrictor effect, extravasation decreases and the likelihood of edema decreases.
Thanks to corticosteroids, the entry of macrophages and some types of T-lymphocytes (sensitized) into the target cells is limited.
Mezoderm is intended to reduce the symptoms of the inflammatory process in dermatoses sensitive to topical corticosteroid treatment, such as:
- eczema (atopic, coin-shaped);
- contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, solar dermatitis, exfoliative dermatitis, stasis dermatitis, radiation dermatitis, intertriginous dermatitis;
- anogenital and senile itching.
It is especially effective for weeping diseases, oily skin.
You should not use the specified drug if the patient has had a previous hypersensitivity (allergy) with respect to one of the components that are part of the drug – both main and auxiliary.
Also contraindicated for:
- ophthalmic diseases;
- post-vaccination reactions, viral infections (herpes, shingles, chickenpox);
- skin manifestations of syphilis, skin tuberculosis;
- other bacterial and fungal skin infections.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Not used for the treatment of pregnant women in the first trimester.
During treatment with this drug, breastfeeding should be suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
This Mezoderm preparation is used by applying it in a uniform layer 1-3 times a day on the affected skin areas, rubbing gently. If there are signs of improvement in the condition, it is necessary to reduce the amount of the applied drug.
When applying the bandage, it is enough to apply the drug once a day.
Make sure that the drug does not get into the eyes! In case of contact with eyes, rinse with water.
The duration of treatment is determined by the attending physician on an individual basis, by the attending physician, but not more than 2 weeks and do not cover more than 20% of the patient’s skin surface with the drug.
Do not cover the affected skin with an occlusive dressing with this drug.
An overdose of corticosteroids can cause:
- suppression of pituitary-adrenal function;
- secondary insufficiency of the adrenal glands;
- manifestation of symptoms of hypercortisolism, including Cushing’s syndrome.
Recommended symptomatic treatment, gradual withdrawal of the drug.
The most common side effects are:
- rash, increased sensitivity;
- skin irritation, erythema, itching;
- dry skin, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acne-like rash;
- hypopigmentation, acne, rosacea-like dermatitis, perioral dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis;
- maceration of the skin, skin atrophy (when wearing occlusive dressings);
- peeling of the skin, telangiectasia, prickly heat;
- striae, protrusion of blood vessels on the face, with prolonged use of local corticosteroids in this area of the skin;
- insufficiency of the adrenal glands.
Storage conditions and periods
This medicinal product Mezoderm is able to retain its medicinal properties for 5 years from the date of manufacture, which is usually indicated on the package.
The drug should be kept out of the reach of children. Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.