Nazonex is used to treat: perennial allergic rhinitis – both perennial and seasonal, in patients from 2 years of age; sinusitis (as an adjunct to antibiotic treatment); acute rhinosinusitis (without signs of severe bacterial infection); nasal polyps and nasal congestion and loss of smell with them (in patients over 18 years of age).
The main active ingredient is mometasone.
Excipients: microcrystalline cellulose, glycerin, polysorbate, benzalkonium chloride solution, citric acid, sodium citrate, purified water.
One dose contains 50 micrograms (mcg) of mometasone.
It is produced in the form of a nasal spray in vials, which contains 140 doses of the drug.
Nazonex belongs to a group of corticosteroid drugs used in otolaryngology to treat nasal conditions.
Mometasone furoate – the main active ingredient of the drug, is a synthetic corticosteroid used topically. Has a pronounced anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effect.
An important factor is that the therapeutic effect is achieved with minimal doses of the drug. As a result, side effects of a systemic nature do not occur when using it.
The mechanisms that make it possible to achieve such a medicinal effect when using mometasone are based on the ability of this drug to cause a decrease in the amount of released mediators of an allergic reaction.
Even in patients with seasonal allergic rhinitis, there was a decrease in the number of secreted leukocytes and leukotrienes.
Nazonex is used to treat:
- perennial allergic rhinitis – both perennial and seasonal, in patients from 2 years of age;
- sinusitis (as an adjunct to antibiotic treatment);
- acute rhinosinusitis (without signs of severe bacterial infection);
- nasal polyps and nasal congestion and loss of smell with them (in patients over 18 years of age).
It is also used as a prophylactic agent in patients with a tendency to allergic rhinitis in patients aged 12 and older (with seasonal rhinitis, it is recommended to start prophylaxis 4 weeks before the expected peak of allergy).
You should not use the specified drug if the patient has had a previous hypersensitivity (allergy) with respect to one of the components that are part of the drug – both main and auxiliary.
Also contraindicated for:
- pulmonary tuberculosis;
- the presence of a local infection of the nasal mucosa;
- condition after recent nose surgery;
- condition after facial injuries, until the wound is completely healed.
This drug should be used with caution in patients with fungal, bacterial, systemic viral infection or herpes infection with eye damage.
Used in pediatrics:
- treatment – from 2 years of age;
- prevention – from 12 years of age.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Treatment of pregnant women is carried out with every possible care, only for serious indications.
Breastfeeding should be suspended during treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
Shake Nazonex vigorously before use. Before the first use, it is necessary to make up to 10 presses. It is important to wash the brush head regularly with lukewarm water without trying to clean it with a sharp object.
The drug is used for allergic rhinitis (both seasonal and year-round), 2 injections into each nostril, 1 time per day. The total daily dosage is 200 mcg of mometasone (in adults).
As soon as a stable therapeutic effect is achieved, the dose is reduced to a maintenance dose, which is 1 injection into each nostril. The number of injections during the day remains unchanged – once a day (100 μg of mometasone).
If the recommended initial dosage did not give the expected therapeutic result, it is permissible to increase the dose to 4 injections in each nostril (1 time per day).
When the result is achieved, the dosage can be reduced to maintenance.
Usually the expected positive effect is observed 12 hours after injection.
The positive dynamics of clinical symptoms is noted, as a rule, after 12 hours. after the first use of the drug.
For children aged 2 to 12 years, dosages are reduced by 50% of the adult dose. Thus, the initial treatment dose is 1 spray in 1 nostril per day.
- When used as a prophylactic agent for adults and children over 12 years of age, it is recommended to make 2 injections 1 time per day.
- For acute sinusitis and nasal polyps, it is recommended to make 2 injections 2 times a day into each nostril.
- Prevention of seasonal allergic rhinitis: for adults and children over 12 years of age, the prophylactic dose is 2 injections (50 mcg each) into each nostril 1 time per day (total daily dose of 200 mcg). It is recommended to start preventive treatment 2-4 weeks before the beginning of the allergen plant’s flowering season.
Overdose with this drug does not cause any particular adverse events due to too low dosage.
In the case of prolonged use, theoretically, suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal system can develop.
In this case, it is recommended to apply symptomatic therapy.
Usually the drug is well tolerated. Side effects can occur only in rare cases. In particular, there may be observed:
- bleeding from the nose;
- burning sensation in the nose;
- irritation of the mucous membrane in the nose.
Discomfort in the nose usually goes away on its own, bleeding is not prolonged.
In isolated cases, patients had an immediate allergic reaction in the form of bronchospasm, dyspnea.
Storage conditions and periods
This medicinal product is able to retain its medicinal properties for 3 years from the production date indicated on the package.
The drug Nazonex should be kept out of the reach of children. Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.
Retains its properties for 2 months after the first opening of the bottle.