Stroke, acute phase of cerebrovascular accidents and their neurological consequences. Traumatic brain injury and its neurological consequences. Cognitive and behavioral disorders due to chronic vascular and degenerative cerebral disorders.
Main active ingredient: citicoline.
The excipients included in the preparation: phosphoric acid, water for injection.
It is produced in the form of an injection solution, in ampoules with a volume of 4 ml, in a dosage of 1000 mg of citicoline.
Neuroxon belongs to the drug group of psychostimulant nootropics, the citicoline class, which are used to improve the cognitive functions of the brain.
The main active ingredient is citicoline, a substance that is analogous to a natural nucleoside, a phosphatidylcholine precursor. Also related to other phospholipids that are part of cell membranes.
Studies have shown that citicoline has the ability to improve cerebral circulation, increases the efficiency of oxygen supply to brain cells. As a result, cerebral metabolism is normalized, the work of the brain improves.
Citicoline is also an active donor of organic choline compounds, which are used in the metabolic process in the synthesis of acetylcholines (neurotransmitters, thanks to which neuromuscular transmission of nerve impulses is carried out).
It protects, restores and improves the functioning of the cell membranes of neurons, produces a decongestant effect on the brain, and prevents the release of free radicals. The use of the drug helps to reduce the recovery period after traumatic brain injuries, strokes, and other disorders of the brain.
Neuroxon is used to treat diseases associated with impaired brain function. In particular, they are prescribed for:
- cognitive, sensitive, movement disorders (strokes);
- in the acute phase of cerebral circulation disorders;
- therapy of the consequences of cerebrovascular accident;
- traumatic brain injury, both in the acute and in the recovery period;
- with encephalopathy of various origins, degenerative diseases of the brain;
- prolonged coma;
- complications after surgery on the brain (edema);
- parkinsonism (can be used in combination with anticholinergics, if it is impossible to prescribe levodopa).
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or one of the auxiliary components.
It is also contraindicated to use with increased tone of the parasympathetic nervous system.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug can be used in the treatment of pregnant women only with careful weighing of the benefit / harm ratio.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, then during treatment, lactation should be suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
Neuroxon solution is used both intravenously and intramuscularly.
Recommended dosages are from 500 to 2 thousand mg per day. The prescribed dose depends on the severity of the symptoms, the severity of the course of the disease, and the individual reaction to the drug.
It can be administered intravenously as a jet (speed – 3-5 minutes) and drip (40-60 drops per minute).
Treatment regimen for acute conditions:
- the first 14 days – from 500 to 1 thousand mg, 2 times a day, intravenously;
- starting from day 15 – from 500 to 1 thousand mg, 2 times a day, intramuscularly.
The maximum daily dose is 2 thousand mg of citicoline per day.
The duration of the course of treatment is 12 weeks.
Elderly patients, as well as patients with hepatic and / or renal insufficiency, do not need dosage adjustment.
Overdose has not been recorded at the moment.
In case of accidental overdose, theoretically, it is possible to increase the side effects.
In this case, symptomatic therapy is recommended.
Possible side effects:
- allergic reactions – rash, itching, urticaria, hyperemia, exanthema, purpura, Quincke’s edema (angioedema), anaphylactic shock;
- severe headache, vertigo, hallucinations;
- arterial hypertension, arterial hypotension, tachycardia;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- chills, pain at the injection site.
If these side effects or not described in this manual appear, you should consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life is up to 3 years.
The storage temperature should be no more than 25 ° C.