This drug is intended for the treatment of bacterial inflammatory processes caused by bacteria sensitive to levofloxacin. In particular, when: acute sinusitis; exacerbation of chronic bronchitis; pneumonia (nosocomial and community-based); complicated and uncomplicated urinary tract infections (including pyelonephritis, uncomplicated cystitis); infections of the skin and soft tissues; chronic bacterial prostatitis.
The main active ingredient of the drug is levofloxacin.
Excipients are: microcrystalline cellulose, corn starch, colloidal anhydrous silicon dioxide, povidone, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, talc, titanium dioxide, etc.
It is produced in the form of tablets, in a dosage of 750 mg of levofloxacin in 1 tablet, in the form of levofloxacin hemihydrate.
This drug Novox belongs to the group of antibacterial drugs of the group of quinolones, fluoroquinolones. The effect of the application is due to the properties of the main active ingredient of the drug – levofloxacin, which is a synthetic antibacterial agent. Also levofloxacin is the S-enantiometer of the racemic mixture of ofloxacin. Able to affect DNA-DNA gyrase and topoisomerase IV. The level of antibacterial activity of the drug depends on its concentration in the blood serum. There is a risk of cross-resistance with other fluoroquinolones and no cross-resistance with other antibiotic groups.
This drug Novox is intended for the treatment of bacterial inflammatory processes caused by bacteria sensitive to levofloxacin. In particular, when:
- acute sinusitis;
- exacerbation of chronic bronchitis;
- pneumonia (nosocomial and community-based);
- complicated and uncomplicated urinary tract infections (including pyelonephritis, uncomplicated cystitis);
- infections of the skin and soft tissues;
- chronic bacterial prostatitis.
Not applicable if the patient has hypersensitivity (allergy) to one of the components that make up the drug.
Also contraindicated for:
- problems with tendons with a history of quinolones.
Use in pediatrics is contraindicated (articular cartilage may be impaired).
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Treatment of pregnant women with this drug is contraindicated.
During treatment, lactation (breastfeeding) should be suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
Novox-750 is taken orally. The exact dosage is chosen by the attending physician, depending on the severity of the disease.
In particular, when:
- acute sinusitis is taken at 500 mg, once a day, the duration of treatment is 10-14 days;
- exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, take 250-500 mg per day, 1 time per day, the duration of treatment is 7-10 days;
- community-acquired pneumonia is taken at 500-1000 mg, 1-2 times a day, the duration of treatment is 7-14 days;
- uncomplicated urinary tract infections – 250 mg, 1 time per day, duration of treatment – 3 days;
- chronic bacterial prostatitis – 500 mg, 1 time per day, duration of treatment – 28 days;
- complicated urinary tract infections, including pyelonephritis – 250 mg, taken once a day, the duration of treatment is 7-10 days;
- infections of the skin and soft tissues take 500-1000 mg 1-2 times a day for 7-14 days.
With impaired renal function, a dosage reduction is required.
For elderly patients and patients with impaired liver function, dosage adjustment is not required.
The duration of the course of treatment is purely individual, determined by the attending physician.
In case of an overdose, symptoms such as:
- dizziness, loss of consciousness;
- lengthening of the QT interval.
In case of an overdose, it is necessary to monitor the patient’s condition, primarily the ECG.
Dialysis is ineffective. There is no antidote.
Treatment is symptomatic.
In particular, the patient may experience:
- tendinitis, arthralgia, myalgia, damage to the ligaments, up to their ruptures, damage to the cartilage tissue of the joints;
- leukopenia, eosinophilia, thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis, pancytopenia;
- anaphylactic shock;
- anorexia, hypoglycemia;
- insomnia, nervousness, anxiety, agitation, hallucinations;
- convulsions, tremors, paresthesia, dysgeusia, ageusia, anosmia;
- vertigo, ringing in the ears;
- tachycardia, arterial hypotension, prolongation of the QT interval;
- bronchospasm, dyspnea, allergic pneumonitis;
- diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dyspepsia, diarrhea;
- hepatitis, jaundice;
- rash, itching, angioedema, hyperhidrosis;
- deterioration of kidney function, up to acute renal failure (due to interstitial neuritis);
- asthenia, pyrexia, chest pain, back pain, limbs;
- attacks of porphyria.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life of the drug Novox is no more than 2 years from the production date indicated on the package.
This medicinal product should be stored in a dry place out of the reach of children, at a temperature not exceeding 30 ° C.