This drug, Octreotid-MB, is used to relieve symptoms in the treatment of endocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and pancreas, in particular: carcinoid tumors with signs of carcinoid syndrome; vipoma; glucagon.
Main active ingredient: octreotide.
Excipients included in the preparation: lactic acid, sodium bicarbonate, water for injection.
It is produced in the form of a solution for injection, packaged in ampoules, in a dosage of 100 mcg per 1 ml of the drug.
This drug Octreotid-MB belongs to the group of drugs – hypothalamic hormones, analogs of the hormone somvastatin, of synthetic origin.
The main active component of the drug, octreotide, is a synthesized octapeptide derived from the natural somastatin hormone. It has pharmacological characteristics similar to somvastatin, however, unlike this hormone, it produces a longer and more powerful effect on the body.
Able to suppress a pathological increase in the release of growth hormone, serotonin hormone, as well as insulins, glucagons and other peptides secreted by the body.
It normalizes the content of electrolytes, growth factors in the blood, reduces the symptoms of headache, diarrhea, excessive sweating, paresthesias, fatigue, arthralgia, reduces the size of the pituitary adenoma and other carcinoid tumors, reduces the size of necrotizing rash, increases the amount of serotonin.
This drug, Octreotid-MB, is used to relieve symptoms in the treatment of endocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and pancreas, in particular:
- carcinoid tumors with signs of carcinoid syndrome;
Not an anticancer drug for these patients.
It is used to reduce the severity of symptoms associated with functional endocrine tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and pancreas, namely, for symptomatic control and reducing the amount of growth hormone and somatomedin in the plasma of patients with acromegaly with:
- short treatment before performing pituitary surgery;
- long-term treatment of patients who are not provided with appropriate control after pituitary surgery, radiotherapy, or in the intermediate period before the onset of a positive effect of radiotherapy.
Do not prescribe inoperable patients with acromegaly, although treatment with this drug may give some reduction in size.
It is also used to prevent the development of postoperative complications in the pancreas, as well as in the treatment of refractory diarrhea in AIDS patients.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is contraindicated in the treatment of pregnant women. At the same time, studies have shown no toxic effects on the fetus or the woman’s body.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, lactation is suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
Apply Octreotid-MB subcutaneously or intravenously. All dosages and treatment regimens are prescribed and adjusted by an experienced physician.
- For endocrine tumors – subcutaneously, or intravenously bolus, at a dosage of 50 mcg, 1-2 times a day, gradually increasing it to 100-200 mcg 3 times a day. If after 7 days there is no effect, the treatment is stopped.
- For acromegaly, the drug is administered subcutaneously at an initial dose of 50-100 mcg, at intervals of 12 hours, gradually increasing (according to individual parameters) to 200-300 mcg. If after 30 days there is no effect, the treatment is stopped.
- For the prevention of complications after operations on the pancreas – subcutaneously the first dose of 100 mcg is administered 60 minutes before the operation, after it – another 100 mcg three times a day for 7 days. If after 7 days there is no effect, the treatment is stopped. If the effect is noticeable, a maintenance dosage is selected.
A slight overdose with this drug does not cause side effects. With a 100-fold overdose of 1000 mcg, flushing of the face, nausea, and diarrhea were observed, which stopped within 24 hours.
In this case, symptomatic treatment is recommended.
The drug is usually well tolerated.
With the introduction of the drug, side effects are possible such as:
- pain, itching, burning, redness and swelling at the injection site (disappear after 15 minutes);
- anorexia, nausea, vomiting, pain, bloating, diarrhea;
- long-term use of octreotide can cause the formation of gallstones;
- hepatitis without cholestasis, hyperbilirubinemia;
- affects glucose metabolism, possibly a decrease in glucose tolerance after meals, the development of hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia;
- temporary alopecia;
- allergic skin reactions, single anaphylactic reactions.
Storage conditions and periods
Expiration date – up to 5 years from the production date indicated on the package.
The storage temperature should not be below 2 or above 8 ° C.