This ophthalmic solution is used to treat: increased intraocular pressure (glaucoma, or ocular hypertension); glaucoma (chronic open-angle glaucoma); glaucoma, which is a consequence of lens removal (glaucoma in aphakia, secondary glaucoma).
Main active ingredient: timolol.
Excipients: solution of benzalkonium chloride, disodium edetate, sodium dihydrogen phosphate, sodium hydrogen phosphate, water for injection.
The drug is available in the form of eye drops, goes to pharmacy sale in dropper bottles with a volume of 10 ml, in a dosage of 2.5 mg of timolol per 1 ml of solution.
This ophthalmic drug Oftimol belongs to antiglaucoma drugs.
The main active ingredient is timolol, a non-selective beta-blocker.
Its use leads to a decrease in both increased and normal intraocular pressure due to the mechanism of action, which is associated with the ability to reduce the release (secretion) of aqueous humor and improve its outflow from the eyes.
Does not cause changes in pupil size and does not affect the ability of the eyes to accommodate.
It has the property of inhibiting beta receptors (β1), which are localized mainly in the muscles of the heart. It also has a blocking effect on β2 receptors. As a result of a decrease in the stimulating effect of catecholamines on the myocardium, the conduction of atrioventicular blockade slows down. As a result, the frequency of contractions of the heart muscle decreases, and then the minute volume of the myocardium.
The use of this Oftimol also causes sensitization of the upper and lower respiratory tract.
Has no sympathomimetic or local anesthetic effect.
Long-term use can cause the development of resistance to timolol.
This Oftimol ophthalmic solution is used to treat:
- increased intraocular pressure (glaucoma, or ocular hypertension);
- glaucoma (chronic open-angle glaucoma);
- glaucoma, which is a consequence of lens removal (glaucoma in aphakia, secondary glaucoma).
The specified drug is not used if the patient has (or has ever been observed before) a hypersensitivity (allergy) reaction to the use of timolol or one of the other components of the drug.
Also contraindicated for:
- bronchial hyperreactivity;
- bronchial asthma, incl. in the anamnesis;
- chronic obstructive airways disease;
- sinus bradycardia;
- sick sinus syndrome, including sinoauricular block;
- atrioventricular block II or III degree, which is not controlled by a pacemaker;
- severe heart failure;
- high degree of atrioventricular block;
- congestive heart failure;
- cardiogenic shock.
Care should be taken when prescribing to patients who have severe peripheral circulatory disorders (in particular, Raynaud’s syndrome).
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Treatment of pregnant women is extremely undesirable, only for serious reasons.
Breastfeeding should be suspended during treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
These Oftimol drops are intended only for instillation into the conjunctival region of the eye.
The initial dose is 1 drop 2 times a day, in a dosage of 2.5 mg of timolol per 1 ml of the drug.
If this dosage was sufficient, it is worth reducing the dosage before using 1 drop 1 time per day. It can be used for a long time.
With an increase in pressure, the dose of the drug also increases (5 mg of timolol 2 times a day).
The patient should remember that with glaucoma, regular monitoring of intraocular pressure is necessary.
Patients with a highly pigmented iris should take into account that their pressure reduction will be less effective.
Overdose with this drug usually does not cause any particular adverse events due to its low toxicity.
In rare cases, with prolonged significant excess of the dosage, the following were observed:
- lowering blood pressure;
- congestive heart failure, cardiogenic shock;
- bradycardia, cardiac arrest;
- respiratory disorders, in particular, bronchospasm;
- gastrointestinal disorders;
- confusion of consciousness;
In case of an overdose, atropine, glucagon, diazepam, beta-sympathomimetics are recommended. The use of pacemakers is recommended.
Usually the drug is absorbed into the systemic circulation, it can cause such side effects as:
- angioedema, allergic urticaria, rash, itching, anaphylactic reactions, facial edema, redness;
- hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, diabetes;
- insomnia, depression, nightmares, memory loss;
- syncope, disorders of cerebral circulation, cerebral ischemia, myasthenia gravis, dizziness, paresthesias and headaches, migraines;
- visual disturbances, changes in refraction, itching, tingling, lacrimation, redness, blepharitis, keratitis, pain, conjunctivitis, photophobia, dry eyes, formation of scales on the eyelids, uveitis, eczema of the eyelids, corneal pigmentation, diplopia, corneal erosion;
- bradycardia, angina pectoris, tachycardia, edema, heart failure, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrest;
- hypotension, stroke, tinnitus, Raynaud’s syndrome;
- asthma, bronchitis, bronchospasm, shortness of breath, cough, rhinitis, COPD;
- nausea, dyspepsia, diarrhea, dry mouth, abdominal pain, vomiting;
- alopecia, psoriasis, rash, systemic lupus erythematosus;
- myalgia, arthropathy, arthralgia;
- sexual dysfunction, decreased libido;
- asthenia, increased fatigue, dermatitis, drowsiness, difficulty urinating;
- corneal calcification (rare).
Storage conditions and periods
This medicinal product is able to retain its medicinal properties for 3 years from the date of manufacture indicated on the package.
The drug should be kept out of the reach of children. Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.
After opening the dropper bottle, the drug retains its properties for a 4-week period.