Type II diabetes, unless diet, exercise, and weight loss are not enough to maintain blood sugar levels.
Oltar composition and form of release
Active substance: glimepiride (4 mg).
Available in tablet form.
It is a sugar reducing agent. The action is associated with the ability to increase the release of insulin from the beta cells of the pancreas, increasing their reactivity to physiological stimulation by glucose.
Oltar is used for type II diabetes mellitus in cases where diet, exercise, weight loss do not give a positive result.
- with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus;
- with a diabetic coma;
- with diabetic ketoacidosis;
- with significant impairment of kidney / liver function;
- in case of intolerance to the components of this medicinal product.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Violation of the normal level of glycemia during pregnancy with a high probability can cause birth defects, perinatal mortality. Therefore, it is important to carefully monitor glucose levels during this period (usually insulin is used).There is no sufficient data regarding the use of Oltar during pregnancy. Animal studies have demonstrated the reproductive toxicity of glimepiride. Therefore, its use is contraindicated in pregnant women.
It is not known whether the active substance (glimepiride) passes into breast milk, so its use is not recommended in nursing mothers.
Method of administration and dosage
Oltar is used internally.
Dosing is determined based on the results of laboratory tests (glucose levels in the blood, urine).
The standard starting dose for adults is 1 mg / day. If this dose achieves the necessary glucose control, it is used for maintenance therapy. If a satisfactory glucose level is not achieved, the dose is gradually increased with an interval of 1-2 weeks.
The maximum recommended dose is 6 mg / day.
Hypoglycemia may develop, lasting from 12 to 72 hours.
Hypoglycemia may be accompanied by neurological symptoms (increased motor activity, tremors, anxiety, blurred vision, drowsiness, impaired coordination, convulsions, coma). You may also experience nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting.
Hospitalization is recommended. Treatment is aimed at preventing further absorption of the drug by washing the stomach (or stimulating vomiting), followed by the use of water with an adsorbent, sodium sulfate. Intravenous bolus administration of glucose should be started as early as possible (under the control of blood glucose).
- Immune disorders: leukocytoclastic vasculitis, allergic reactions.
- Hematological disorders: thrombocytopenia, granulocytopenia, leukopenia, erythrocytopenia, agranulocytosis, hemolytic anemia, pancytopenia.
- Metabolic disorders: hypoglycemic conditions.
- Ophthalmic disorders: temporary visual impairment (due to changes in blood glucose levels, especially at the beginning of therapy).
- Gastrointestinal disorders: bloating, stomach discomfort, nausea, diarrhea.
- Hepatobiliary disorders: increased levels of hepatic transaminases, liver dysfunction (sometimes with cholestasis, jaundice), hepatitis, liver failure.
- Dermatological disorders: allergic dermatitis, pseudo-allergic reactions, pruritus, urticaria, exanthema, hypersensitivity to sunlight.
- Others: decreased blood sodium levels.
Storage conditions and periods
Store Oltar at 15 – 30 ° C for no more than two years.