Ondansetron is used: for the prevention and treatment of vomiting and nausea during the period of cytostatic chemotherapy in adults, children over two years old; for the prevention and treatment of vomiting and nausea during the period of radiation therapy in adults; for the treatment of postoperative vomiting and nausea in adults.
Ondansetron composition and form of release
Active ingredient: ondansetron (8 mg).
Available in coated tablet form.
It is an antiemetic. It is a selective antagonist of serotonin 5HT3 receptors located at the ends of the vagus nerve, in the trigger zone of the fundus of the fourth ventricle of the brain, while practically does not affect other serotonin receptors. has antiemetic, anxiolytic, tranquilizing effect. In addition to antiemetic, it has a tranquilizing, anxiolytic effect. The drug stops vomiting, which occurs when the parasympathetic nervous system is excited due to the release of serotonin by enterochromaffin cells. Unlike metoclopramide, it does not have a blocking activity against dopamine receptors and, therefore, does not provoke extrapyramidal side reactions.
Ondansetron is used:
- for the prevention and treatment of vomiting and nausea during the period of cytostatic chemotherapy in adults, children over two years old;
- for the prevention and treatment of vomiting and nausea during the period of radiation therapy in adults;
- for the treatment of postoperative vomiting and nausea in adults.
- with hypersensitivity to ondansetron, any of the components of the drug;
- with history of hypersensitivity reactions to selective antagonists of 5-HT3 receptors;
- when breastfeeding.
- with intestinal obstruction;
- during pregnancy.
It is used in pediatrics for children from 2 years old.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
The safety of treatment during pregnancy has not been established, therefore, the appointment of a pregnant woman is possible only in exceptional cases.
If necessary, use in a nursing mother should stop breastfeeding.
Method of administration and dosage
Ondansetron is administered orally.
The standard single dose for adults is 4-8 mg.
The maximum dose is 32 mg / day.
The frequency of administration, the duration of use, the doctor sets individually.
In case of an overdose, a mild headache may occur.
Treatment: symptomatic therapy is indicated. The use of ipecac is not recommended.
If the dose is significantly exceeded, signs of overdose are detected, it is required to stop taking the drug, consult a doctor.
- Digestive disorders: abdominal pain, constipation / diarrhea, heartburn, increased activity of hepatic transaminases (ALT, AST), flatulence, dyspepsia, change in taste.
- Neurological disorders: headache, drowsiness, insomnia, excessive fatigue, weakness, anxiety, dizziness, restlessness.
- Cardiovascular disorders: arrhythmia, decrease / increase in blood pressure, chest pain, bradycardia, chest pain, ST segment depression.
- Allergic reactions: bronchospasm, skin rash, hyperthermia, urticaria, itching, hypersensitivity reactions.
- Others: flu-like syndrome.
Storage conditions and periods
Store in original packaging at temperatures up to + 30 ° C. The shelf life is three years. It is forbidden to use the drug after the expiration date indicated on the package.
Parents need to ensure the safety of their children by excluding their access to medicine.