Infections caused by microorganisms sensitive to azithromycin: infections of ENT-organs (bacterial pharyngitis/tonsillitis, sinusitis, otitis media); respiratory tract infections (bacterial bronchitis, non-hospital pneumonia); infections of skin and soft tissues: erythema migrans (initial stage of Lyme disease), erysipelas, impetigo, secondary pyodermatosis; sexually transmitted infections: uncomplicated and complicated urethritis / cervicitis caused by Chlamydia trachomatis.
Ormax composition and form of release
Active substance: azithromycin.
Available in capsule form (250 mg).
It is an antibiotic of the macrolide group. The drug has a bacteriostatic effect, i.e. inhibits the growth and reproduction of pathogenic microbes. Its action is due to its ability to suppress protein production in microbial cells. In a higher concentration, the drug has a microbial-killing (bactericidal) effect.
Ormax is used for infectious processes provoked by microbes sensitive to this antibiotic:
- infections of the skin, soft tissues (erysipelas, infected dermatosis, acne, impetigo);
- borreliosis (Lyme disease) at the initial stage – erythema migrans;
- ENT infections (laryngitis, pharyngitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis, otitis media, rhinitis, tracheitis);
- urinary tract infections, incl. chlamydial.
- with severe impairment (failure) of the kidneys and / or liver;
- if you are allergic to macrolide antibiotics;
- while taking certain medications (ergotamine, dihydroergotamine).
Use with caution in prolonged Q-T (ECG), predisposition to arrhythmia, moderate renal / liver dysfunction.
It is used in pediatrics for children weighing 45 kg.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy, this medicine can be prescribed only when the need for treatment of the woman outweighs the risk to the child (according to the doctor).
This antibiotic is excreted in milk, and therefore is not used during breastfeeding.
Method of administration and dosage
The Ormax capsule must be swallowed whole, washed down with water.
The required dose should be taken once a day – 2 hours after or one hour before a meal.
The standard dose for an adult (including the elderly) is 500 mg / day for three days.
- With erythema migrans (erythema migrans), 1000 mg is prescribed on the 1st day, from the 2nd to the 5th day – 500 mg daily. For acne vulgaris (acne vulgaris), 500 mg / day is used for 3 days, then 500 mg / day once for 9 weeks.
- For chlamydial infection (Chlamidia trachomatis), 1000 mg is usually given as a single dose.
Children weighing more than 45 kg are prescribed adult doses.
Overdose symptoms: frequent and / or loose stools, vomiting, hearing impairment.
Treatment: gastric lavage with a probe, intake of enterosorbents, symptomatic therapy.
- Changes in laboratory parameters: thrombocytopenia (decrease in the number of platelets), neutropenia (decrease in the number of neutrophilic leukocytes), changes in liver function tests.
- Neurological disorders: convulsions, vertigo (dizziness), cephalalgia (headache), drowsiness, paresthesia (feeling of crawling, tingling, burning on the skin), feeling of powerlessness, insomnia, aggressiveness, increased physical activity, anxiety, nervousness.
- Perceptual Disorders: Deafness, reversible hearing impairment, odor / taste impairment, tinnitus.
- Cardiovascular disorders: rhythm disturbances (palpitations, arrhythmias, expansion of the Q – T interval, ventricular tachycardia).
- Digestive disorders: Stool changes (constipation, diarrhea), flatulence (bloating), nausea, anorexia, discoloration of the tongue, abdominal cramps / pains, pseudomembranous colitis (inflammation of the colon), impaired bile outflow (cholestatic jaundice), hepatitis (tissue inflammation liver), liver necrosis, liver failure.
- Disorders of the motor system: joint pain.
- Allergic reactions: rashes, photosensitivity (sun intolerance), urticaria, angioedema (swelling of the face, tongue, lips with respiratory failure), erythema multiforme, anaphylactic shock, itching, contact dermatitis.
- Disorders of the genitourinary system: acute kidney failure, nephritis (inflammation of the kidney tissue).
- Others: vaginitis (inflammation of the vagina), candidiasis (fungal infection).
Storage conditions and periods
At 15-25 ° C. The shelf life of Ormax capsules is 2 years.