It is a strong antiemetic drug and is used to prevent and treat severe urge to vomit, uncontrollable vomiting. In particular, when: cytotoxic chemotherapy; radiation therapy; postoperative nausea and vomiting.
Main active ingredient: ondansetron.
An auxiliary component is sodium chloride, citric acid, sodium citrate dihydrate, as well as water for injection.
It is produced in the form of an injection solution, in ampoules of 4 ml, in a dosage of 2 mg of ondansetron.
The specified drug Osetron belongs to the group of antiemetic drugs, and drugs that relieve nausea, serotonin receptor antagonists.
Ondansetron, which is the main active ingredient of the drug, is a potent highly selective substance.
It is also an antagonist of serotonin receptors type 5HT 3. Nerve endings of the so-called “vagus nerve” and chemoreceptors of the trigger zone of one of the ventricles located in the brain are the site of localization of serotonin receptors.
It has the property of preventing the development of vomiting and eliminating attacks of nausea, which are one of the side effects during chemotherapy or radiation therapy, operations under general anesthesia.
It is assumed that the mechanism of action of the drug is due to the ability of ondansetron to block the initial stage of the vomiting reflex initiation.
It should be noted that as a result of taking the drug on the patient’s body, the patient’s psychomotor activity decreases. In this case, the sedative effect is not observed.
Osetron is a potent antiemetic drug used to prevent and treat violent urge to vomit, uncontrollable vomiting. In particular, when:
- cytotoxic chemotherapy;
- radiation therapy;
- postoperative nausea and vomiting.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
The use of simultaneous use with drugs based on apomorphine hydrochloride is contraindicated.
It is used in pediatrics.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is contraindicated for use in the treatment of pregnant women.
If it is necessary to administer the drug during breastfeeding, then lactation should be suspended for the duration of treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
Osetron is administered intravenously or intramuscularly, the dosage is calculated by an experienced oncologist, depending on the type and extent of the disease, the body’s response to the drug and treatment.
- nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy and radiation therapy – 8 mg, over 30 seconds, injected before starting the treatment;
- doses over 8 mg (no more than 16 mg) are administered only in the form of an infusion, diluted to 50-100 ml with sodium chloride;
- with highly emetogenic chemotherapy – before the procedure – 8 mg, then after 2 and 4 hours – the introduction of 8 mg intramuscularly, or infusion of 1 mg per hour, within 24 hours;
- with postoperative nausea not associated with chemotherapy – a single dose of the drug – 4 mg, during the introduction into the state of anesthesia, intramuscularly or in the form of an intravenous injection;
- children are administered in the form of an infusion in a solution of up to 25-50 ml of sodium chloride, or 5 mg in the form of an injection, before the procedure (no more than 8 mg for intravenous injection). Oral administration is acceptable for another 5 days.
Pediatric dosage is calculated at the rate of 0.15 mg per 1 kg of patient weight. The scheme of administration is similar to that of an adult.
Elderly patients (over 65 years of age) are recommended to be administered at a time interval of at least 4 hours. Patients with hepatic insufficiency are recommended to inject no more than 8 mg of the drug per day.
Patients with renal insufficiency do not need dosage adjustment.
In cases of overdose, the patients experienced symptoms:
- vasovagal manifestations.
Usually they pass on their own. Symptomatic treatment is recommended.
The drug causes the following side effects:
- headache, dizziness (when the drug is administered), convulsions, movement disorders;
- fleeting visual disturbances;
- arrhythmia, angina pectoris, bradycardia, prolongation of the QT interval, tachycardia;
- hypotension, hiccups;
- constipation, increased liver function;
- rash, epidermal necrolysis, anaphylactoid reactions, bronchospasm, pruritus, allergic urticaria;
- reactions at the injection site;
- protrusion of the tongue, diplopia, paresthesia;
- fever, hypokalemia.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life is up to 3 years.
Storage temperature – no higher than 25 ° С.