Symptomatic treatment of nasal congestion in colds, hay fever, other allergic rhinitis, sinusitis. To facilitate the outflow of secretions in diseases of the paranasal sinuses. Secondary therapy in cases of otitis media (to eliminate swelling of the mucous membrane). To facilitate rhinoscopy.
Otrivin Extra composition and form of release
Active ingredient: xylometazoline hydrochloride (0.5 mg / ml), ipratropium bromide monohydrate (0.6 mg / ml).
Available as a solution (nasal spray).
Otrivin Extra is a nasal spray. Contains a combination of active ingredients. Xylometazoline stimulates alpha-adrenergic receptors. When applied to the mucous membrane, it causes vasoconstriction, while reducing edema and redness. With rhinitis (runny nose), relieves nasal breathing. Ipratropium bromide has an anticholinergic effect. When applied intranasally, it reduces secretion by competitive inhibition of acetylcholine receptors located in the epithelium of the nasal cavity.
Otrivin Extra is used for swelling of the nasal mucosa due to colds, coryza with a large amount of liquid mucous secretions (vasomotor rhinitis), as well as allergic rhinitis.
- with allergies to the components of the solution;
- with “dry” inflammation of the nasal mucosa with the formation of crusts (dry rhinitis);
- with the transferred transsphenoidal removal of the pituitary gland or any other surgical interventions with a history of exposure of the meninges;
- with severe atherosclerosis;
- with tachycardia;
- with arterial hypertension;
- during pregnancy, breastfeeding;
- with simultaneous treatment with MAOIs, tricyclic antidepressants.
Use with caution:
- in the treatment of MAOIs or other drugs with a hypertensive effect in the past;
- with increased intraocular pressure, especially with angle-closure glaucoma;
- with cardiovascular pathology (for example, ischemic heart disease, arterial hypertension);
- with pheochromocytoma;
- with metabolic disorders (for example, diabetes mellitus, hyperthyroidism);
- with porphyria;
- with prostatic hyperplasia.
Not used in pediatrics.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Do not use during these periods.
Method of administration and dosage
Otrivin Extra is used intranasally (in the nose).
Adults are shown one injection into each nasal passage up to three times a day.
It is not recommended to use the spray for more than ten days.
When applied topically, overdose is unlikely.
Symptoms: hallucinations, mydriasis (dilated pupils), nausea, cyanosis, convulsions, fever, cardiovascular disorders (tachycardia, arterial hypertension, arrhythmia, cardiac arrest), respiratory failure, altered consciousness, drowsiness, pulmonary edema, decreased body temperature, bradycardia (decrease in heart rate), a sharp drop in blood pressure, respiratory arrest, coma development.
Overdose treatment: stopping treatment, seeking medical attention immediately, intensive care.
- Cardiovascular disorders: heart palpitations, arrhythmias, arterial hypertension.
- Neurological disorders: headache, paroxysm, insomnia, fatigue, dizziness.
- Respiratory, thoracic, mediastinal disorders: burning in the nose, feeling of dryness, shortness of breath, sneezing, increased swelling of the nasal mucosa, nosebleeds.
- General disorders: fatigue, drowsiness, visual impairment.
- Digestive disorders: nausea.
- Immune disorders: hypersensitivity reactions (angioedema, exanthema, itching).
- Mental disorders: sleep disturbances, agitation, hallucinations.
Storage conditions and periods
Store at a temperature of 15-25 ° C out of reach of children. The shelf life of the spray is three years.