The drug Oxiprogesterona capronat is prescribed in the following cases: risk of miscarriage; primary and secondary amenorrhea, polymenorrhea; dysfunctional uterine bleeding; hyperplastic processes in the endometrium; endometriosis.
Oxiprogesterona capronat composition
Main active substances: 1 ml of solution contains hydroxyprogesterone capronate (in terms of dry matter) 125 mg.
Excipients: benzyl benzoate, refined olive oil.
Solution for injections in ampoules of 1 ml.
This remedy Oxiprogesterona capronat belongs to the hormones of the sex glands.
The active substance is a synthetic analogue of the corpus luteum hormone (progesterone). Its biological properties are similar to progesterone: the transformation of the uterine lining from the proliferation phase, which is caused by follicular hormone, to the secretion phase. After fertilization, the drug stimulates its transition to a state that is necessary for the further development of a fertilized egg.
The drug helps to reduce the excitability and contractility of the uterine muscles, and fallopian tubes. The active ingredient, in comparison with progesterone, is a more persistent substance in the body.
Its effect is prolonged. It persists for 7 to 14 days after a single intramuscular injection.
The drug Oxiprogesterona capronat is prescribed in the following cases:
- risk of miscarriage;
- primary and secondary amenorrhea, polymenorrhea;
- dysfunctional uterine bleeding; hyperplastic processes in the endometrium;
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
The drug is contraindicated in the following cases:
- second half of pregnancy;
- ectopic pregnancy or missed pregnancy, including a history;
- vaginal bleeding of unknown origin;
- condition after an abortion;
- liver dysfunction, liver disease (hepatitis, cirrhosis);
- cholestatic jaundice during pregnancy or in history;
- benign hyperbilirubinemia, liver failure;
- renal failure;
- nervous disorders with symptoms of depression;
- malignant tumors of the mammary glands and genitals;
- active venous or arterial thromboembolism;
- severe thrombophlebitis or a history of such conditions.
The drug is not used in pediatrics.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is allowed to be used by pregnant women only in the first trimester of pregnancy, according to strict indications determined by the attending physician.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, lactation is suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
Before use, slightly warm the ampoule with Oxiprogesterona capronat in a water bath (up to 30-40 ° C).
- In case of precipitation of crystals, heat the ampoule in a boiling water bath until they are completely dissolved.
- The drug is administered intramuscularly and subcutaneously. With the threat of miscarriage or miscarriage that began in the first trimester of pregnancy, inject 125-250 mg (1-2 ml of a 12.5% solution) 1 time per week.
- For primary or secondary amenorrhea – immediately after the withdrawal of estrogenic drugs, administer 250 mg once or in two doses.
- In order to normalize the menstrual cycle (with polymenorrhea, dysfunctional uterine bleeding), the drug is administered at a dose of 65-125 mg (0.5-1 ml of a 2.5% solution) on the 20-22 day of the cycle.
In case of an overdose, there may be an increase in side effects.
The drug is usually well tolerated when used in the recommended doses.
The following disorders can be observed as side effects:
- increased blood pressure, tachycardia, shortness of breath, circulatory disorders, venous thromboembolism;
- edema, fluid retention, albuminuria, poor glucose tolerance, changes in plasma lipid profile;
- changes in appetite, bloating, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, abnormal liver function and changes in liver function tests, cholestatic jaundice, rarely (with prolonged use) – nausea, vomiting;
- headache, dizziness, depression, insomnia, drowsiness, weakness, increased fatigue, paresthesia;
- weight gain, pain and tension in the mammary glands, changes in vaginal discharge, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea, oligomenorrhea, menstrual irregularities, premenstrual syndrome, decreased libido, hirsutism;
- uterine spasms, disorders of the external genital organs such as burning, dryness, genital itching, vaginal discharge, vaginal mycosis;
- hypersensitivity reactions, anaphylactic reactions, angioedema, urticaria;
- alopecia, acne, yellow age spots on the face (chloasma), possible allergic reactions on the skin (rash, itching), erythema multiforme;
- visual impairment, retinal thrombosis, inflammation of the optic nerves;
- fever, changes at the injection site, including pain and swelling;
- an excessive amount of progesterone can lead to virilization of the female fetus (to the extent of gender uncertainty).
Storage conditions and periods
Expiration date – up to 5 years from the production date indicated on the package. Storage periods should not be exceeded.
Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C. Temperature deviations can change the properties of the preparation, therefore it should always be stored in its original packaging.