Spasms of the smooth muscles of the abdominal organs (pylorospasm, irritable bowel syndrome, cholecystitis, attacks of cholelithiasis); spasms of the urinary tract, renal colic; spasm of brain vessels; spasms of peripheral vessels (endarteritis).
The main active ingredient is papaverine hydrochloride. Also contains excipients: methionine, disodium edetate, water for injection.
It is produced in the form of a solution for injection (volume – 2 ml in 1 ampoule, 1 ml contains 20 mg of papaverine).
This Papaverin drug belongs to a group of medicines used to treat functional disorders of the gastrointestinal tract.
The main active ingredient is papaverine hydrochloride. An alkaloid found in opium. It is a myotropic antispasmodic agent. It has the property of reducing tone, reducing the contractile activity of smooth muscles, which entails vasodilation and relief of spasms.
Also effective against vascular smooth muscle.
It has the ability to relax smooth muscles, eliminating spastic pain due to the expansion of the lumen in the vessels, which improves the flow of oxygen to the tissues.
Papaverin is used when it is necessary to stop (relieve) a spasm and relieve spastic pain caused by it. In particular, they are used to relieve spasms:
- organs of the abdominal cavity (pylorospasm, irritable bowel syndrome, cholecystitis, attacks of cholelithiasis);
- urinary tract, renal colic;
- cerebral vessels;
- peripheral vessels (endarteritis).
The drug has the property of leading to impaired contractility of smooth muscles, which causes their relaxation in spastic (convulsive) conditions.
The effect of papaverine on the central nervous system has a weakly pronounced character and for the manifestation of a sedative (sedative) effect, it is necessary to take increased doses of the drug.
Use is contraindicated in case of allergy to one of the components of the drug, as well as in case of:
- severe heart failure;
- severe arterial hypertension;
- atrioventricular block;
- cardiogenic shock;
- renal or hepatic impairment;
- do not take simultaneously with monoamine oxidase inhibitors.
Exercise caution when prescribing to patients who have angle-closure glaucoma, as well as patients over the age of 75 years.
It is used in pediatrics for children from 1 year old.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
When prescribing to pregnant women, caution should be exercised, and only used if the benefits outweigh the risks.
Breastfeeding is suspended during the treatment process.
Method of administration and dosage
Papaverin is given as a rectal suppository and as an injection.
The injection solution is administered subcutaneously, intramuscularly or intravenously, as decided by the doctor.
- Adults and children over 14 years old receive 0.5-2 ml (10-40 mg) of a 2% solution subcutaneously or intramuscularly, intravenously injected slowly, using sodium chloride as a solvent (10-20 ml of solvent per 1 ml of papaverine).
- Elderly patients are recommended the first injection of no more than 10 mg of the substance (0.5 ml of sodium chloride).
- The maximum dosage is one-time – 100 mg, daily – 300 mg. When administered intravenously, a single dose – 20 mg (1 ml of sodium chloride), daily – 120 mg (6 ml of solvent).
- Children 1-14 years old are administered 2-3 times a day. A single dose is applied at the rate of 0.7 – 1 mg per 1 kg of patient weight.
Maximum daily dose: 1-2 years – 20 mg, 3-4 years – 30 mg, 5-6 years – 40 mg, 7-9 years – 60 mg, 10-14 years – 100 mg per day.
The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor on an individual basis.
Overdose can cause:
- atrioventricular block (AB);
- cardiac arrest;
- paralysis of the respiratory center;
- sedative (sedative) effect.
Treatment of symptoms is recommended – gastric lavage, intake of sorbents. Symptomatic therapy.
No specific antidote has been identified.
Usually the drug is well tolerated. In rare cases, reactions are possible in the form of:
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (diarrhea);
- sleep disorders, fainting, headaches;
- increased heart rate, drop in pressure (hypotension), arrhythmias;
- swelling of the mucous membrane in the nose, spasms in the bronchi (with a tendency to such), apnea;
- allergies in the form of a skin rash, itching, allergic dermatitis, Quincke’s edema;
- excessive sweating.
Intravenous administration can cause a drop in blood pressure, the development of AB, and respiratory depression.
If side effects develop, you need to stop the use of the drug and inform your doctor about it.
Storage conditions and periods
Stored for up to 2 years at temperatures up to 25 ° C.