Mild to moderate pain syndrome of various origins: headache, toothache, neuralgia, myalgia, arthralgia, primary dysmenorrhea. Feverish syndrome in colds and flu.
The main active ingredients are: propyphenazone, paracetamol, caffeine, codeine phosphate, phenobarbital. Each of the tablets includes:
- propiphenazone – 210 mg;
- paracetamol – 210 mg;
- caffeine – 50 mg;
- codeine – 10 mg;
- phenobarbital – 20 mg.
Excipients: microcrystalline cellulose, corn starch, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, croscarmellose sodium, sodium lauryl sulfate, polyethylene glycol, talc, anhydrous colloidal silicon dioxide.
Produced in tablet form.
This drug is included in the group of combined drugs based on analgesics and antipyretics, designed to relieve pain.
The components of the drug in the complex are able to complement the mutual effect on the body, which increases its effectiveness in the fight against the disease.
- Among such components – paracetamol, which is also one of the main active agents of the drug, also has the properties of a non-narcotic analgesic that can affect the central nervous system, as well as pain and thermoregulatory centers. Has analgesic and antipyretic effects.
- Caffeine, like propyphenazone, is able to stimulate the psychomotor centers located in the brain, is an analeptic that enhances the effect of analgesics. It is able to eliminate drowsiness, fatigue, and helps to improve performance – both mental and physical.
- Phenobarbital is an antiepileptic, antispasmodic, muscle relaxant, which also has sedative properties.
- Codeine is a narcotic analgesic, muscle relaxant, opioid, suppresses cough centers without inhibiting them (if the recommended dosages are not exceeded). Able in small dosages to enhance the effectiveness of hypnotics, sedatives and analgesic drugs.
This drug Pentased is used in medical practice in cases where there is a need to relieve pain of small to moderate intensity. Moreover, the reasons for the appearance of pain in this case do not matter.
In particular, it is used for pain:
Effective if the patient has:
- headache, migraine;
It is also used for a condition that accompanies pain, fever, inflammation of certain organs, including in the treatment of colds, flu, minor injuries, non-intensive surgical interventions, in particular, after tooth extraction.
The drug should not be used if the patient has previously shown hypersensitivity (allergy) to one of the substances that make up the drug – both basic and auxiliary.
Also, use is contraindicated if the patient has:
- ulcer of the stomach and / or duodenal ulcer (with their exacerbation);
- bronchospasm, respiratory depression;
- blood diseases;
- increased pressure inside the skull;
- traumatic brain injury / trauma;
- myocardial infarction in its acute period;
- high blood pressure;
Also not applicable for:
Not used in pediatrics until the age of 12.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Treatment of pregnant women with this drug is inappropriate, since the degree of harm that can be caused to a woman or her fetus is unknown.
Breastfeeding, if treatment with this drug is required, should be temporarily suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
Pentased is taken with or without food.
- for adults – 1-2 tablets 1 to 3 times a day;
- for adolescents 12-18 years old – 0.5-1 tablet 1-3 times a day;
- for one-time relief of pain syndrome – a single dose of 1-2 tablets.
The maximum single dosage is no more than two tablets once.
Maximum per day is permissible to take no more than six tablets (for adolescents – 3 tablets).
Treatment with this drug cannot last more than 5 consecutive days.
An overdose of the indicated drug can cause:
- nausea, vomiting, gastralgia;
- clouding of consciousness, oppression of the respiratory centers, coma;
- hypothermia, arterial hypotension, tachycardia (heart palpitations).
The patient may also manifest:
- agranulocytosis, hemorrhagic syndrome;
- renal / hepatic impairment.
- for codeine – naloxone, nalorphine;
- for paracetamol – acetylcysteine, methionine.
If an overdose is detected, it is necessary to flush the stomach. It is also desirable to take enterosorbents, a large amount of liquid, in order to induce a forced diuresis.
Side effects may occur during therapy with this drug. In particular, there may be:
- allergic reactions, up to their extreme manifestations, in particular, anaphylactic shock may occur.
Some patients experienced:
- decreased psychomotor speed;
- dizziness, drowsiness;
- tachycardia, bradycardia, arrhythmia;
- nausea and vomiting, constipation;
- disorders of the blood system;
- interstitial nephritis, thrombocytopenia, anemia;
- ataxia, arterial hypotension, myasthenia gravis.
The patient’s urine may turn red (disappears after the end of the course of therapy).
Storage conditions and periods
The drug Pentased retains its medicinal properties for 2 years (the production date is indicated on the package).
It must be stored in a dry place, away from sunlight.
The storage temperature should not be lower than 15 ° С and should not exceed 25 ° С.