This ophthalmic solution is used to treat: primary and chronic open-angle glaucoma; an acute attack of angle-closure glaucoma; chronic glaucoma (before surgery); secondary glaucoma (due to thrombosis of the central retinal vein, acute obstruction of the retinal artery, atrophy of the optic nerve, pigmentary retinal degeneration, vitreous hemorrhage).
Main active ingredient: pilocarpine hydrochloride.
Excipients: boric acid, sodium tetraborate, water for injection.
1 ml of ophthalmic solution contains 10 mg of pilocarpine hydrochloride.
The drug is available in the form of eye drops. Comes to the pharmacy in 10 ml dropper bottles.
This ophthalmic drug belongs to antiglaucoma drugs.
The main active ingredient is pilocarpine hydrochloride, which is included in the group of M-cholinomimetics.
Pilocarpine hydrochloride is a parasympathomimetic agent that has the ability to stimulate muscarinic receptors (M-cholinergic receptors).
When injected into the eye, the drug reduces intraocular pressure by contracting the circular muscle of the iris, the ciliary muscle, while narrowing the pupil.
As a result of these processes, the anterior chamber angle opens in the eye, and the outflow of fluid inside the eye increases.
As a result, intraocular pressure decreases, and trophism of eye tissues improves.
This Pilocarpine ophthalmic solution is used to treat:
- primary and chronic open-angle glaucoma;
- an acute attack of angle-closure glaucoma;
- chronic glaucoma (before surgery);
- secondary glaucoma (due to thrombosis of the central retinal vein, acute obstruction of the retinal artery, atrophy of the optic nerve, pigmentary retinal degeneration, vitreous hemorrhage).
It is also used if it is necessary to narrow the pupil in case of an overdose of mydriatics, for diagnostic purposes and during surgical interventions (except for persons with high myopia).
The specified drug is not used if the patient has (or has ever been observed before) a hypersensitivity (allergy) reaction to the use of one of the components of the drug.
Also contraindicated for:
- iritis, iriridocyclitis, uveitis, cyclitis;
- keratitis and other eye diseases in which constriction of the pupil is undesirable;
- paradoxical reaction to the drug in congestive glaucoma;
- a history of retinal detachment;
- acute inflammation of the tissues of the eye;
- high myopia;
- bronchial asthma.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Treatment of pregnant women is extremely undesirable, only for serious indications.
Breastfeeding should be suspended during treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
These Pilocarpine drops are intended only for instillation into the conjunctival region of the eye.
The initial dose is 1-2 drops 2-4 times a day.
With increasing pressure, the dose also increases. For acute attacks of glaucoma:
- 1 hour – 1 drop every 1 quarter of an hour;
- the next 3 hours – 1 drop every half hour;
- the next 4-6 hours – 1 drop every hour;
- the next days – 1 drop from 3 to 6 times a day, until the attack stops.
An overdose of this drug usually does not cause any particular adverse events due to its low toxicity.
In rare cases, with prolonged significant excess of the dosage, the following were observed:
- lowering blood pressure;
- bradycardia, cardiac arrest;
In case of overdose, atropine, parasympathomimetics are recommended.
Usually the drug is absorbed into the systemic circulation, it can cause the following side effects in the form of:
- arterial hypotension;
- insomnia, depression, nightmares, memory loss;
- syncope, disorders of cerebral circulation, cerebral ischemia, myasthenia gravis, dizziness, paresthesia and headache, migraine;
- visual disturbances, changes in refraction, itching, tingling, lacrimation, redness, blepharitis, keratitis, pain, conjunctivitis, photophobia, dry eyes, the formation of scales on the eyelids, uveitis, eczema of the eyelids, corneal erosion;
- keratopathy, cataract, reversible lens opacity, changes in conjunctival tissue;
- bradycardia, angina pectoris, tachycardia, edema, heart failure, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrest;
- myalgia, arthropathy, arthralgia;
- detachment of the retina.
Storage conditions and periods
This medicinal product is able to retain its medicinal properties for 3 years from the production date indicated on the package.
The drug should be kept out of the reach of children. Storage temperature should not be lower than 8 and exceed 15 ° С.
After opening the dropper bottle, the drug retains its properties for a 4-week period.