For adults: symptomatic treatment of psycho- organic syndrome, accompanied by a decrease in memory, dizziness, decreased concentration; treatment of cortical myoclonia as a monopreparation or as part of complex therapy. For children treatment of dyslexia in combination with other necessary methods, including speech therapy.
Composition and form of release
Active ingredient: piracetam.
Piracetam is produced in the form of a solution for injection.
Piracetam is a nootropic agent (protects the nervous tissue from harmful effects). It has a positive effect on metabolic processes, blood circulation in the brain. This drug helps to increase the absorption of glucose by tissues, improves regional blood flow in the areas of the brain affected by ischemia, and also stimulates redox reactions. Strengthens the energy potential of the brain, thereby increasing the resistance of its tissues to hypoxia (oxygen starvation), toxic effects. It helps to strengthen memory, improve the learning process, stabilize and restore disturbed brain functions.
This medicine is prescribed for adults:
- for the symptomatic treatment of the Walter-Buel triad (psychoorganic syndrome), accompanied by dizziness, memory impairment, reduced ability to concentrate;
- for the treatment of cortical myoclonus (sudden chaotic contractions of individual muscles);
- for the treatment of dizziness, as well as associated balance disorders (with the exception of dizziness of a mental, vasomotor origin);
- as part of the treatment of sickle cell anemia in order to reduce the manifestations of pain (vaso-occlusive) crisis.
Children are prescribed:
- for the treatment of cortical myoclonus;
- for the treatment of dyslexia in children over the age of eight in combination with other methods, including speech therapy;
- as part of a complex therapy for sickle-cell anemia in children over the age of three to reduce the manifestations of pain (vaso-occlusive) crisis.
- with allergies to the components of the drug;
- during pregnancy / lactation;
- with hemorrhagic stroke;
- with psychomotor agitation;
- with agitated depression;
- with severe kidney failure (with a creatinine clearance rate
- with Huntington’s disease.
With caution, this medicine is prescribed for disorders of epilepsy, hemostasis, severe bleeding, major surgery, hyperthyroidism.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
There is no sufficient data on the use of this medication during pregnancy. Animal studies have not revealed an indirect or direct effect on the development of the embryo / fetus, pregnancy, childbirth, postnatal development.
Piracetam is able to penetrate the blood-placental barrier. Plasma concentration in newborns can reach 70–90% of that in mothers. In this regard, the drug is not prescribed for pregnant women.
Piracetam is able to pass into mother’s milk. Do not use it during breastfeeding or stop feeding during treatment.
Method of administration and dosage Piracetam solution is administered intramuscularly / intravenously.
For adults for the treatment of cerebrovascular disorders in the acute phase, the drug should be prescribed as early as possible.
The starting dose for the treatment of chronic conditions is 1200 mg (400 mg x 3 times / day), gradually the dose is adjusted to 2400 mg / day, sometimes up to 3200 mg / day or more. The therapeutic effect is usually observed 2–3 weeks after the start of admission. Subsequently, the dose is reduced to 1200-1600 mg (400 mg x 3-4 times / day). The course of treatment lasts from 2-3 weeks to 2-6 months. It can be repeated if necessary after 6-8 weeks.
- For the symptomatic treatment of chronic psychoorganic syndrome, 1200–2400 mg / day are prescribed (depending on the severity of symptoms), and during the first week – 4800 mg / day.
- For cortical myoclonus, the starting dose is 7200 mg / day. Every 3-4 days the dose is increased by 4800 mg / day (if necessary) until the maximum dose is reached – 24000 mg / day in 2-3 doses.
- In sickle cell anemia, the standard daily dose is 160 mg / kg, divided into 4 equal doses. During the crisis – up to 300 mg / kg.
- In alcoholism, 12000 mg / day is prescribed during the onset of the withdrawal syndrome; maintenance dose – 2400 mg / day.
- In the treatment of coma, as well as in the post-traumatic period, the initial dose is 9000–12000 mg / day, the maintenance dose is 2400 mg / day, the course of treatment is 3 weeks.
At the time of dose selection, changes in doses of other anti-myoclonic agents are not made.
In the case of a positive effect from taking the drug, it is advisable to consider the possibility of reducing the doses of anti-myoclonic drugs.
In the treatment of cortical myoclonus, the drug is continued throughout the entire period of the disease. Every six months, an attempt is made to reduce the dose or stop the medication, gradually reducing the dose by 1200 mg every 2 days in order to prevent an attack.
Since this drug is excreted from the body by the kidneys, dose adjustment is required when it is administered to patients with renal insufficiency or to elderly patients.
Patients with impaired liver function do not need dose adjustment.
Use in children: daily dose for ages from 1 to 3 years – 400 mg; from 3 to 7 years – 400–1000 mg; from 7 to 12 years old – 400–2000 mg; from 12 to 16 years old – 800–2400 mg.
For children in acute conditions (meningoencephalitis, cerebral edema, etc.), the drug is administered intravenously: 5-10 ml of a 20% solution (200 mg / ml) in 100.0-150.0 glucose solution 5%; for a course of up to 10 infusions. For planned treatment, the solution is administered intramuscularly: 10–20 injections per course of 3–4 ml of a 20% solution (200 mg / ml).
Overdose symptoms: increased potential side reactions.
Overdose treatment: gastric lavage, intake of absorbing agents (adsorbents), symptomatic therapy, hemodialysis (its effectiveness is 50-60%). There is no specific antidote.
- Disorders from the nervous system: imbalance, mental agitation, irritability, motor disinhibition, decreased ability to concentrate, anxiety, depression, insomnia / drowsiness, headache, ataxia, extrapyramidal disorders (including hyperkinesis), dizziness, aggravation of the course of epilepsy, convulsions, tremor, imbalance, hallucinations, confusion.
- Disorders of the cardiovascular system: arterial hypo- / hypertension, in elderly patients, the course of angina pectoris may worsen, exacerbation of coronary insufficiency.
- Disorders from the immune system: allergic reactions (dermatitis, rash, itching, angioedema, anaphylactoid reactions).
- Disorders from the blood system: coagulation disorders.
- Disorders from the digestive system: nausea, gastralgia (pain in the supra-gastric region), diarrhea.
- Hearing disorders: vertigo (dizziness).
- Others: an increase in body weight, asthenia, increased sexual activity.
Storage conditions and periods
At 15-25 ° С. See the expiration date on the packaging.