For adults: symptomatic treatment of psycho- organic syndrome, accompanied by a decrease in memory, dizziness, decreased concentration; treatment of cortical myoclonia as a monopreparation or as part of complex therapy. For children treatment of dyslexia in combination with other necessary methods, including speech therapy.
Composition and form of release
Active ingredient: piracetam.
Piracetam is produced in the form of a capsules.
Piracetam is a nootropic agent (protects the nervous tissue from harmful effects). It has a positive effect on metabolic processes, blood circulation in the brain. This drug helps to increase the absorption of glucose by tissues, improves regional blood flow in the areas of the brain affected by ischemia, and also stimulates redox reactions. Strengthens the energy potential of the brain, thereby increasing the resistance of its tissues to hypoxia (oxygen starvation), toxic effects. It helps to strengthen memory, improve the learning process, stabilize and restore disturbed brain functions.
This medicine is prescribed for adults:
- for the symptomatic treatment of the Walter-Buel triad (psychoorganic syndrome), accompanied by dizziness, memory impairment, reduced ability to concentrate;
- for the treatment of cortical myoclonus (sudden chaotic contractions of individual muscles);
- for the treatment of dizziness, as well as associated balance disorders (with the exception of dizziness of a mental, vasomotor origin);
- as part of the treatment of sickle cell anemia in order to reduce the manifestations of pain (vaso-occlusive) crisis.
- with allergies to the components of the drug;
- during pregnancy / lactation;
- with hemorrhagic stroke;
- with psychomotor agitation;
- with agitated depression;
- with severe kidney failure (with a creatinine clearance rate
- with Huntington’s disease.
With caution, this medicine is prescribed for disorders of epilepsy, hemostasis, severe bleeding, major surgery, hyperthyroidism.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
There is no sufficient data on the use of this medication during pregnancy. Animal studies have not revealed an indirect or direct effect on the development of the embryo / fetus, pregnancy, childbirth, postnatal development.
Piracetam is able to penetrate the blood-placental barrier. Plasma concentration in newborns can reach 70–90% of that in mothers. In this regard, the drug is not prescribed for pregnant women.
Piracetam is able to pass into mother’s milk. Do not use it during breastfeeding or stop feeding during treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
The tablets are taken orally (by mouth) with plenty of water (200 ml). Application for adults
Treatment of conditions accompanied by memory impairment, cognitive disorders.
The initial daily dose is 4.8 g during the first week of treatment. The dose should be distributed over 2-3 doses. The maintenance dose is 2.4 g per day (divided into 2-3 doses). In the future, a gradual dose reduction by 1.2 g per day is possible.
Treatment of cortical myoclonus
The starting dose is 24 g for 3 days. If during this time the desired therapeutic effect is not achieved, the use of the drug should be continued at the same dosage (24 g / day) for up to 7 days. If the therapeutic effect is weak or absent altogether, continue using the drug in the same dose for up to 7 days. If the desired therapeutic effect is not obtained on the 7th day of treatment, treatment with piracetam should be discontinued. If the therapeutic effect has been achieved, then starting from the day when a stable improvement is achieved, the dose of the drug should be reduced by 1.2 g every 2 days until the manifestations of cortical myoclonus appear again. This will make it possible to establish an average effective dose.
The daily dose should be divided into 2-3 doses. Treatment with other anti-myoclonic drugs should be maintained in pre-prescribed doses. Treatment should be continued until the symptoms of the disease disappear. To prevent the deterioration of the patient’s condition, the use of the drug should not be abruptly stopped. It is necessary to gradually reduce the dose by 1–2 g every 2–3 days. It is necessary to prescribe repeated courses of treatment every 6 months, while adjusting the dose depending on the patient’s condition, until the symptoms of the disease disappear or decrease.
Dose adjustment is recommended for elderly patients with diagnosed or suspected renal impairment. With long-term treatment, if necessary, such patients need to control creatinine clearance in order to adequately adjust the dose.
Overdose symptoms: increased potential side reactions.
Overdose treatment: gastric lavage, intake of absorbing agents (adsorbents), symptomatic therapy, hemodialysis (its effectiveness is 50-60%). There is no specific antidote.
- Disorders from the nervous system: imbalance, mental agitation, irritability, motor disinhibition, decreased ability to concentrate, anxiety, depression, insomnia / drowsiness, headache, ataxia, extrapyramidal disorders (including hyperkinesis), dizziness, aggravation of the course of epilepsy, convulsions, tremor, imbalance, hallucinations, confusion.
- Disorders of the cardiovascular system: arterial hypo- / hypertension, in elderly patients, the course of angina pectoris may worsen, exacerbation of coronary insufficiency.
- Disorders from the immune system: allergic reactions (dermatitis, rash, itching, angioedema, anaphylactoid reactions).
- Disorders from the blood system: coagulation disorders.
- Disorders from the digestive system: nausea, gastralgia (pain in the supra-gastric region), diarrhea.
- Hearing disorders: vertigo (dizziness).
- Others: an increase in body weight, asthenia, increased sexual activity.
Storage conditions and periods
At 15-25 ° С. See the expiration date on the packaging.