Pirantel belongs to the group of antihelminthic drugs that are used against sensitive immature and sexually mature forms of helminths. The action of the drug leads to paralysis of helminths, after which they leave the body together with feces.
active substance: pyrantel pamoate (rurantel ramoate);
1 tablet contains pyrantel pamoate in terms of pyrantel 250 mg;
Excipients: povidone, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, colloidal anhydrous silica.
Pirantel is an anthelmintic. Active against Enterobius vermicularis, Ascaris lumbricoides, Ansulostoma duodenale and Necator americanus. Pyrantel causes neuro-muscular blockade, paralyzing helminths, as a result of which they are excreted by intestinal peristalsis together with fecal masses. Pyrantel is active against sensitive mature and immature forms of helminths. Does not affect the larvae of helminths that migrate through tissues.
Enterobiosis, ascariasis, hookworm.
Hypersensitivity to any components of the drug.
Method of application and dosage
The drug Pirantel can be taken at any time, there is no need to take the drug on an empty stomach and prior use of laxatives.
Enterobiasis and ascariasis
In the treatment of enterobiasis and ascariasis, the dosage is usually from 10 mg / kg to 12 mg / kg once.
- Children over 6 years: 1 tablet per 20 kg of body weight at a time.
- Adults weighing less than 75 kg: 3 tablets at a time.
- Adults weighing more than 75 kg: 4 tablets at a time.
In the case of enterobiosis, in order to get rid of parasites completely, it is necessary to follow strict hygienic measures and treat all family members at the same time. To avoid re-infection, it is recommended to take a second dose 3 weeks after the first dose.
In endemic areas, in case of infection with Necator americanus or massive invasion of Ancylostoma duodenale, the dosage is 20 mg / kg per day (in 1 or 2 doses) for 2-3 days.
- Children over 6 years: 1 tablet per 10 kg of body weight per day.
- Adults weighing less than 75 kg: 6 tablets per day.
- Adults weighing more than 75 kg: 8 tablets per day.
In the case of moderate Ancylostoma duodenale infection (which usually occurs in non-endemic areas), a single dose of 10 mg / kg may be sufficient.
To appoint to children aged from 6 years. It is desirable to use the drug in the form of a suspension for children under 6 years of age.
Due to the low absorption rate, the plasma concentrations of the drug are low. Overdose causes some disorders of the gastrointestinal tract (eg, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) and minor temporary disorders of the central nervous system (eg, asthenia, dizziness, headache). Sometimes an overdose leads to an increase in liver transaminases (AST). Specific antidotes are unknown. Immediate gastric lavage is recommended, as well as monitoring of respiratory and cardiovascular functions. Treatment is symptomatic.
- From the gastrointestinal tract: epigastric pain, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia; abdominal cramps, tenesmus.
- From the hepatobiliary system: decrease or temporary increase in liver transaminases.
- From the nervous system: headache, dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, insomnia, asthenia.
- From the skin and subcutaneous tissue: skin rash, itching, urticaria,
- From the immune system: hypersensitivity reactions.
Store at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C in the original package.
Keep out of reach of children.