Symptomatic treatment of osteoarthritis , rheumatoid arthritis, or ankylosing spondylitis. Due to the safety profile, piroxicam is not the first choice if other non -steroidal anti-inflammatory or anti-rheumatic agents are indicated. The decision to prescribe piroxicam should be based on an assessment of the individual’s overall risk to the patient.
Piroxicam Composition and release form
Main active ingredient: piroxicam.
Excipients included in the preparation: lactose, starch, cellulose, silicon dioxide, calcium stearate.
It is produced in the form of tablets, 10 mg of piroxicam.
This pharmaceutical product belongs to the drug group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
The main active ingredient is piroxicam. It is part of the oxicam group, and their effect is due to the drug’s ability to inhibit the synthesis of prostaglandins. These are lipid physiologically active components that are formed as a result of enzymatic processes.
Piroxicam has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic effects due to the ability to indiscriminately inhibit the activity of the cyclooxygenase enzyme, like other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Effective in the treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system. It is also used in the treatment of dysmenorrhea and, if necessary, to relieve pain after surgery.
Given the ability of the drug to half-life, it is sufficient to apply it once a day. This drug has good digestibility, as a result – an accelerated effect and fewer side effects from the digestive tract.
This drug Piroxicam is used for the symptomatic treatment of conditions such as:
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- ankylosing spondylitis (ankylosing spondylitis).
It should be noted that piroxicam is not the first choice. The decision to prescribe piroxicam should be based on an assessment of the individual’s overall risk to the patient.
It is not an emergency drug for these diseases, since the first result after taking it is observed after 5-10 days.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or one of the auxiliary components.
Also contraindicated for:
- ulcers and erosions of the digestive tract, incl. stomach ulcers;
- gastrointestinal disorders;
- violations of hematopoiesis;
- hemorrhagic diathesis;
- cerebrovascular or other types of bleeding;
- severe renal and / or hepatic impairment;
- severe heart failure.
Should not be used simultaneously with anticoagulants, other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Exercise caution in treating patients over 65 years of age.
Should not be used in pediatrics.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is not used in the treatment of pregnant women.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, then lactation should be suspended during treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
Piroxicam is taken orally.
The tablets are swallowed without chewing, during or immediately after a meal. Drink plenty of water.
The maximum daily dose is 20 mg. The same dose is recommended as a therapeutic one, and is taken once a day.
By decision of the doctor, the dose can be reduced to 10 mg per day.
It is advisable to take the lowest effective dose to minimize gastrointestinal side effects.
Piroxicam is contraindicated in patients with severe impairment of liver and kidney function.
In case of an overdose, symptoms such as:
- nausea, vomiting;
- headache, confusion, tinnitus, hyperventilation of the lungs;
- hyperthermia, respiratory and metabolic acidosis, renal dysfunction;
- convulsions, coma.
There is no specific antidote. Symptomatic treatment is recommended – gastric lavage, intake of enterosorbents.
Possible side effects:
- hypertension, palpitations, tachycardia;
- heart failure, myocardial infarction;
- hemoglobinemia, anemia, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, eosinophilia, thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia, panmyelopathy;
- headaches, dizziness and fatigue, drowsiness, paresthesia, convulsions;
- irritation and swelling of the eyes;
- hearing impairment;
- heartburn, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, flatulence, diarrhea, constipation, gastrointestinal bleeding, other disorders of the gastrointestinal tract;
- pancreatitis, esophagitis, ulcerative colitis;
- fluid retention, increased blood urea concentration, edema;
- nephritis, dysuria, pollakiuria, polyuria; hematuria;
- hyperhidrosis, itching, rash;
- alopecia, onycholysis, impaired nail growth.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life is up to 3 years.
Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.