The specified pharmaceutical agent is used for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease of all forms of severity – from mild to severe. Also used in the treatment of herpes zoster, which is caused by Varicella zoster.
PK-Merz composition and form of release
The main active ingredient is amantadine.
The drug is marketed in tablet form, 100 mg of amantadine in 1 tablet.
The specified pharmaceutical agent PK-Merz is one of the drugs used to treat Parkinson’s disease, and is also an antiviral agent.
The main active ingredient is amantadine. It is a tricyclic symmetric adamantamine. Has the ability to block NMDA glutamate receptors. Reduces the stimulating effect produced by cortical glutamic neurons that affect the neostiratum part of the brain. This effect develops due to a lack of dopamine release.
Reduces the effect of the destruction of ionized calcium molecules in neurons. It also affects stiffness.
The specified pharmaceutical agent PK-Merz is used to treat Parkinson’s disease of all forms of severity – from mild to severe.
Also used in the treatment of herpes zoster, which is caused by Varicella zoster.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
It is used with caution in patients suffering from:
- hepatic and renal failure;
- psychoses, epilepsy;
- angle-closure glaucoma;
- hyperplasia of the prostate;
- arterial hypotension, heart failure.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
The drug should not be administered during pregnancy.
If there is a need to use this drug during lactation, breastfeeding should be suspended for this period.
Method of administration and dosage
The drug PK-Merz is administered orally.
Treatment is carried out under the supervision of a physician, and under the supervision of a person who will take care of the patient.
- 3 days – 100 mg every 6 hours;
- 4-7 days – 20 mg per day;
- during the 2nd week – 300 mg per day;
- from the 3rd week – 300-400 mg.
The maximum daily dosage is 600 mg.
Patients with liver disease do not need dosage adjustments.
With kidney disease and in old age (over 65 years), the dosage needs to be reduced.
Treatment continues until the drug has a beneficial effect and does not produce noticeable side effects.
The dosage adjustment of the duration of treatment is determined individually by the attending physician.
Overdose can be fatal.
- anxiety, cramps, spasms;
- hyperreflexia, dysphagia, disorientation, delirium;
- tachycardia, arrhythmia, hypertension;
- nausea, vomiting, dry mouth.
Treatment is symptomatic. There is no specific antidote.
Recommended gastric lavage, intake of enterosorbents, forced diuresis. Hemodialysis is not effective enough.
Side effects may occur during treatment with this drug. In particular, there may be:
- nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, dyspepsia, anorexia, pruritus, allergic urticaria, other manifestations of allergic reactions;
- agitation, seizures, headache, insomnia, tremors;
- hallucinations, psychosis;
- heart failure, tachycardia, hypotension, arrhythmogenic effect;
- urinary retention, polyuria, nocturia;
- dermatosis, bluish coloration of the limbs;
- decreased visual acuity.
Storage conditions and periods
Expiration date – no more than 5 years from the date of issue indicated on the packaging by the manufacturer.
Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.