Treatment of mixed infections caused by pathogens (microorganisms and protozoa) that are sensitive to the drug components: diseases of the genitourinary system: acute pyelonephritis, bacterial prostatitis, uncomplicated cystitis, epididymitis, complicated urinary tract infections. For the treatment of uncomplicated cystitis, Polimic should only be used when it is considered inappropriate to use antibacterial drugs that are usually recommended for the treatment of this infection; sexually transmitted diseases. Official recommendations for the proper use of antibacterial drugs should be taken into account.
The main active ingredient: ornidazole, ofloxacin.
Excipients: sodium starch glycolate, corn starch, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, macrogol, etc.
The drug is produced in tablet form.
1 tablet of the drug contains 500 mg of ornidazole and 200 mg of ofloxacin.
This drug Polimic belongs to the group of combined antibacterial drugs used systemically.
Ornidazole is an imidazole derivative, an antibiotic that is similar in properties to metronidazole and other 5-nitroimidazoles.
Shows antibacterial and antiprotozoal effect against Trichomonas, lamblia, gardnerella, and other microorganisms, including anaerobic cocci.
Also, as a result of the metabolic processes that this substance causes in the cells, toxins are released, which cause impaired cell respiration, which also leads to the death of pathogen cells.
In terms of the mechanism of its action, this substance is similar to DNA-tropic pharmaceuticals, since it has a selective effect on microorganisms that have enzyme systems.
Ofloxacin also has a powerful bactericidal effect, contributing to the destruction of the DNA of a pathogenic microorganism for humans.
This drug Polimic is intended for the treatment of anaerobic systemic infections caused by microflora that are sensitive to ornidazole and ofloxacin. In particular, for treatment:
- diseases of the urogenital tract with microbial agents;
- infectious diseases of the genital organs (gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomoniasis);
- infectious diseases of the respiratory system;
- infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and biliary system (amebiasis, giardiasis);
- infectious processes of the skin and soft tissues.
Also used for preoperative antibiotic prophylaxis.
The drug in question is not used if the patient has ever had hypersensitivity (allergy) to one of the components that make up its composition.
Also contraindicated for use with:
- organic diseases of the central nervous system;
- multiple sclerosis;
- violations of hematopoiesis;
- chronic alcoholism;
Caution should be exercised when treating patients suffering from:
- liver failure;
- brain damage;
- disorders of hematopoiesis.
In pediatrics, it is used to treat children over the age of 16.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is contraindicated for the treatment of pregnant women in the first trimester of pregnancy. During the II and III trimesters, it is permissible to prescribe only for serious indications.
Lactation is suspended for the duration of treatment with this drug.
Method of administration and dosage
This Polimic drug is taken orally without chewing, drinking plenty of water before or after eating.
The exact dosage is determined by the attending physician depending on the course of the disease, the patient’s response to the drug.
Adults take 1 tablet 2 times a day. The course of treatment is 5 days.
Then the treatment can be continued for 5-8 days with only ofloxacin in tablet form. Treatment lasts 2-3 days after the last symptoms of the disease have disappeared.
In hepatic impairment, it is recommended to reduce dosages or lengthen the interval of use.
An overdose of this drug can cause:
- loss of consciousness;
- tremors, trembling limbs;
- depression, peripheral neuritis;
- nausea, vomiting.
Symptomatic therapy is recommended.
The use of this drug in a patient can cause side effects in the form of:
- metallic taste in the mouth;
- nausea, loss of appetite, epigastric pain, vomiting;
- headache, dizziness, tremor, impaired coordination of movements;
- ataxia, seizures, confusion;
- signs of sensory or mixed peripheral neuropathy;
- allergic reactions (itching, rash, allergic urticaria, angioedema);
- moderate leukopenia, darkening of urine;
- cardiovascular disorders – tachycardia, arrhythmias, pulmonary edema;
- enterocolitis, impaired renal function, hematuria, itching in the vagina;
- myalgia, ligament rupture, arthralgia;
- neutropenia, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, anemia, etc.
Storage conditions and periods
This drug Polimic retains its medicinal properties for 3 years, which are counted from the date of production, which is indicated by the manufacturer.
The drug should be kept out of the reach of children. Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.