This drug is used to treat: acute and chronic vaginal infections (colpitis); mixed infections; nonspecific infections (bacterial vaginosis caused by Gardnerella vaginalis); fungal infections (candidiasis); vaginal infections due to antibiotic and steroid treatment; trichomoniasis.
Main active ingredient: povidone iodine.
The excipients included in the preparation: sodium phosphate, polyethylene oxide.
It is produced in the form of pessaries, and 1 pessary contains 300 mg of povidone iodine.
This drug is from the group of antiseptic and disinfectants used in gynecology.
Made on the basis of the main active ingredient – povidone iodine. This substance consists of a complex, including trace elements – iodine and polyvinylpyrrolidone polymer, capable of releasing iodine molecules after being applied to the skin.
Iodine elements have a strong bactericidal effect, producing a broad antimicrobial effect against pathological microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoa. Thus, free iodine molecules have an active bactericidal effect, and polymers play the role of a depot accumulator for iodine elements.
The drug is especially active when it comes into contact with the skin. Since the drug does not contain ethanol, it does not have such a strong skin irritant effect as iodine alcohol solutions.
Does not show resistance even with prolonged use. In this case, povidone iodine is able to quickly dissolve in water and wash off with water.
This drug Povidin is used to treat:
- acute and chronic vaginal infections (colpitis);
- mixed infections;
- nonspecific infections (bacterial vaginosis caused by Gardnerella vaginalis);
- fungal infections (candidiasis);
- vaginal infections due to antibiotic and steroid treatment;
Also used for preoperative prophylaxis during vaginal surgery or diagnostic procedures.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or one of the auxiliary components.
Use is contraindicated in:
- Duhring’s dermatitis herpetiformis;
- dysfunction of the thyroid gland (nodular colloid goiter, endemic goiter and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis);
- treatment and scintigraphy with radioactive iodine in patients with thyroid carcinoma;
- renal failure.
The use of povidone iodine can reduce the absorption of iodine by the thyroid gland, as well as affect the results of some tests and procedures, and therefore treatment of thyroid disease with iodine preparations may not be possible. After the treatment with povidone iodine is discontinued, it is necessary to take a break of at least 1 to 4 weeks.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug can be used in the treatment of pregnant women, if necessary, according to strict indications, without exceeding the dosage.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, lactation is suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
The drug Povidin is intended for intravaginal use, 1 pessary once a day, inserted deep into the vagina, at night.
The duration of the course of treatment is 7 days. For severe infections, the duration of the treatment course can be doubled or doubled the daily dosage to 2 pessaries per day.
The use of panty liners is recommended.
It can be used during menstrual bleeding.
Overdose is unlikely. Can theoretically cause iodine intoxication. Symptoms:
- a drop in insulin levels in the blood (hypoglycemia);
- metallic taste in the mouth, increased salivation, burning or pain in the mouth, throat;
- irritation and swelling of the eyes;
- skin reactions;
- gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea;
- impaired renal function, anuria;
- insufficiency of blood circulation;
- laryngeal edema, secondary asphyxia, pulmonary edema, metabolic acidosis, hypernatremia.
Symptoms should be treated, with particular attention to thyroid function, electrolyte balance, and kidney function.
In case of iodine intoxication, you should eat starch or protein (starch solution in water or milk), use sodium thiosulfate.
The drug is usually well tolerated. Side effects may occur in the form of:
- electrolyte imbalance (hypernatremia), metabolic acidosis;
- disorders of the kidneys, incl. acute renal failure;
- hypersensitivity reactions in the form of skin rashes – allergic urticaria, contact dermatitis, rash;
- hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism;
- increased blood pressure, difficulty breathing.
Storage conditions and periods
Expiration date – up to 2 years from the production date indicated on the package.
The storage temperature of Povidin should not exceed 15 ° C.