The drug is prescribed for maturation of the cervix in pregnant women with full-term or almost full-term pregnancy, if necessary, induction of labor for therapeutic or obstetric indications.
The main active ingredient of the drug is dinoprostone.
Also, the composition of this drug includes such auxiliary substances as: colloidal anhydrous silicon dioxide, glycerol triacetate.
The drug is produced in the form of a gel for endocervical administration, filled into a syringe, with a volume of 3 grams, which contains 0.5 grams of dinoprostone.
This Prepidil drug belongs to a group of drugs that are used to increase the tone and contractile activity of the myometrium.
Has the ability to stimulate the myometrium.
With intravenous or intrauterine use of the drug, a rhythmic muscle contraction occurs, followed by the expansion of the cervix during pregnancy. Promotes increased blood supply to the uterus.
At the beginning of pregnancy and in its middle, the reaction of uterine sensitivity to the drug is lower than at the end of pregnancy.
The use of high dosages leads to an increase in blood pressure due to the effect on the smooth muscle of the blood vessels.
Does not show a diuretic effect.
This Prepidil preparation is recommended for cervical ripening, labor stimulation:
- for induction of labor, if there is a full-term or near-term pregnancy;
- for the induction of expulsion of the fetus in case of intrauterine death;
- with medical abortion;
- if the abortion did not take place;
- with skidding of the bladder;
- other causes of labor for therapeutic or obstetric indications.
Not applicable if the patient has hypersensitivity (allergy) to one of the components that make up the drug.
Use is contraindicated in:
- acute inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs;
- multiple pregnancy;
- with more than 6 premature pregnancies, a history of difficult labor;
- active cardiac, pulmonary, hepatic and renal pathologies;
- a cesarean section or extensive surgery on the uterus in history;
- a high degree of discrepancy between the sizes of the mother’s pelvis and the fetal head, abnormal location of the fetus;
- with bleeding of unknown etiology;
- difficult and / or traumatic childbirth in history.
Also do not apply if the patient is diagnosed with:
- bronchial asthma;
- arterial hypertension;
- exacerbation of ulcerative colitis;
- sickle cell anemia.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
According to indications.
Method of administration and dosage
Prepidil is used for induction (excitation, activation) of labor during full-term pregnancy.
The contents of the syringe are completely injected into the cervical canal of the cervix by an experienced physician.
An overdose of the drug can cause:
- hypertonicity of the uterus;
- significant strengthening or increased frequency of uterine contractions.
Treatment: speed reduction, drug withdrawal. If necessary, the introduction of beta-adrenergic agonists, urgent delivery.
The use of this drug can cause side effects in the form of:
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- hot flashes;
- tremors, asthma, bronchospasm;
- temperature increase;
- violation of heart rhythms in the fetus;
- fetal asphyxia.
If you experience any unusual side effects as a result of taking this drug, you should consult your doctor about possible changes in the treatment regimen.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life of the drug is no more than 2 years from the production date indicated on the package, at a temperature within 2-8 ° C.