Major depressive episodes/disorders. Obsessive-compulsive disorders. Bulimia nervosa: as part of complex psychotherapy to reduce uncontrolled food intake and to clear the intestines.
Prodep Composition and form of release
The main active ingredient is fluoxetine.
The drug is marketed in a capsule form containing 20 mg of fluoxetine in 1 capsule.
This drug belongs to a group of antidepressant drugs used to treat certain types of nervous disorders.
The main active ingredient is fluoxetine. It is an antagonist of receptors (muscarinic, histamine and a-adrenoceptor). An effective antidepressant with the property of selectively inhibiting serotonin reuptake in the central nervous system. Its action differs from the mechanism of influence of other antidepressants in the ability not to induce the functional activity of beta-adrenergic receptors. It has a very weak effect on neuronal uptake of dopamine and norepinephrine.
Regular intake improves mood, eliminates anxiety, fears, tension. At the same time, it does not have a sedative and cardiotoxic effect (in dosages not exceeding the recommended ones). A stable effect develops after the 2nd week of regular intake of the drug and lasts for 7 days after it is stopped.
The specified pharmaceutical preparation Prodep is used to treat patients suffering from diseases such as:
- major depressive episodes, depressive disorders;
- obsessive-compulsive disorder;
- bulimia nervosa (as part of complex psychotherapy to reduce uncontrolled food intake and to cleanse the intestines).
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
Also, use is contraindicated in:
- severe hepatic and renal failure;
- epilepsy, seizures (history);
- atony of the bladder;
- benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy, the appointment of this drug is contraindicated.
If there is a need to take the drug during lactation, then it should be suspended for the period of treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
This Prodep is taken orally with water, 1-2 times a day. Reception is made regardless of the meal.
The average dosage is from 20 to 60 mg per day, depending on the disease, the individual action of the drug. If necessary, the dosage should be increased with a small dose of 20 mg, gradually increasing.
Some recommended dosages:
- severe depression, disorders – 20 mg every morning, after 3-4 weeks the dosage can be increased to 20 mg twice a day, after a few weeks the dose can be increased to 60 mg, treatment lasts up to 6 months;
- obsessive-compulsive disorder – 20 mg per day, in some cases it is possible to increase the dose to 60 mg, increase the dose by 20 mg every 3-4 weeks;
- bulimia nervosa – 20 mg per day, treatment lasts 3 months;
- the maximum daily dose is 80 mg per day (for patients over 65 years of age – the maximum is 60 mg).
Termination of treatment is carried out by gradually reducing the dosage in order to avoid exacerbation of the disease.
Dosage, dosage adjustment, regimen and duration of treatment are prescribed on an individual basis by an experienced physician.
Overdose can cause:
- nausea, vomiting;
- disorders of the cardiovascular system;
- breathing disorders, hypomania.
Treatment: gastric lavage, intake of sorbents, symptomatic therapy, monitoring of the respiratory system and the work of the CVS.
There is no specific antidote. Dialysis is ineffective.
When treating with this drug, side effects may occur in the form of:
- asthenia, chills, fever;
- thrombocytopenia, hemorrhage under the skin, hematomas;
- allergic reactions;
- decreased appetite, anorexia, hyponatremia;
- dysgeusia, drowsiness, tremors, seizures, memory impairments, vision, insomnia, nightmares, anorgasmia, bruxism, speech disorders;
- mydriasis, tinnitus;
- cardiac arrhythmias, hot flashes, hypotension, vasculitis;
- shortness of breath, pharyngitis, nosebleeds;
- nausea, vomiting, dysgeusia, dysphagia;
- hepatitis A;
- rash, pruritus, erythema, alopecia, purpura;
- arthralgia, myalgia;
- dysuria, pollacuria;
- gynecological bleeding, erectile dysfunction;
- weight loss.
Storage conditions and periods
Shelf life is 4 years.
Storage temperature Prodep – no higher than 25 ° С.