Hormone replacement therapy for symptoms of estrogen deficiency in women after menopause.
Progynova Composition and form of release
Main active ingredients: estradiol.
Auxiliary components: silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, starch, povidone, talc, lactose.
Produced in pill form. Composition – 2 mg estradiol per tablet.
This drug is included in the group of combinations of estrogen hormones of natural and semi-synthetic origin for systemic use.
The main active components of the drug are estradiol, of natural physiological origin. Estradiol valerate has complete identity to endogenous human estradiol both chemically and biologically.
It can be used systemically to correct the lack of estrogen production in women who are or are entering menopause or after oophorectomy. Thanks to the intake of estrogens in women during this period, the loss of calcium in bone tissues is prevented, which helps to reduce trauma, and cases of hip fractures, alleviate the symptoms of menopause in general.
Estradiol – the most active component of estrogens, acts on all organs and reproductive systems of a woman. The effect of its use can be equated to the period of the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle.
The effect is noticeable from the first days of therapy.
Progynova is used in hormone replacement therapy to correct estrogen deficiency and symptoms of estrogen deficiency, with age-related or artificial menopause, with an intact uterus. In particular, menopause symptoms are reduced, such as:
- vasomotor disorders (hot flashes, night sweats);
- trophic disorders of the urinary tract (atrophic vulvovaginitis, urinary incontinence);
- mental disorders (sleep disturbance, asthenia).
Prevents postmenopausal osteoporosis.
The considered drug Progynova is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
It is contraindicated to use at:
- breast cancer, estrogen-dependent tumors (eg, endometrial cancer);
- vaginal bleeding of unknown etiology;
- endometrial hyperplasia;
- thromboembolism of veins and arteries;
- increased blood clotting;
- acute thromboembolism of the arteries – angina pectoris, myocardial infarction;
- acute liver disease;
Experience with this therapy in women over the age of 65 is limited.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is contraindicated in pregnant women, as well as when planning pregnancy.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, lactation is suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
Progynova is administered orally, once a day, preferably at the same time of day. The pack is designed for 28 days, and they are taken in a row. Therapy is usually started no earlier than one year after the onset of menopause.
A new pack is started at the end of the previous one, without a break.
Do not double the dose if 1 dose has been missed.
Increasing the dosage will not improve the therapeutic effect, however, it can cause unwanted side effects, therefore, the recommended dosage should not be exceeded.
Overdose is unlikely. Theoretically, overdose may result in:
- vaginal bleeding (in young women).
- Symptomatic therapy, drug withdrawal or dosage reduction are recommended.
- Side effects
The use of the drug can cause side effects such as:
- nervousness, headache, migraines, drowsiness;
- thrombosis, thrombophlebitis;
- abdominal pain, diarrhea, jaundice;
- itching, chloasma;
- dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia, bleeding, vaginitis, endometrial polyps, endometriosis, mastodynia, benign breast tumors;
- arthralgia, edema;
- tachycardia, increased blood pressure, diarrhea, asthenia;
- increased appetite, cholesterol levels;
- paresthesia, tremor;
- acne, cystitis, hematuria;
- increased risks of developing ovarian and breast cancer.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life is up to 3 years.
The storage temperature of Progynova should not be less than 15 and above 30 ° C.