Reduction of elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) in patients with open-angle glaucoma and increased intraocular pressure. Reduction of increased intraocular pressure in children with increased intraocular pressure and pediatric glaucoma.
Prolatan Composition and release form
The main active ingredient of the drug is latanoprost.
The auxiliary substances are: sodium chloride, benzalkonium chloride, sodium dihydrogen phosphate monohydrate, sodium hydrogen phosphate anhydrous, water for injection.
It is produced in the form of eye drops, in dropper bottles with a volume of 2.5 ml.
1 ml of solution contains 0.05 mg of the main active ingredient – latanoprost.
This drug belongs to the group of miotic drugs, prostaglandin analogues, which are used in the treatment of glaucoma.
The main mechanism of action of its main active ingredient latanoprost is the ability to increase uveoscleral outflow.
Has shown its effectiveness when used as a monopreparation. It is also active in combination with beta-blockers, in particular timolol.
Latanoprost does not affect the excretion of intraocular fluid by the body. Does not affect the blood-ophthalmic barrier.
Has no effect (or it is insignificant) on the blood circulation inside the eye. At the same time, when applied topically, conjunctivitis and episcleral hyperemia can be observed.
This drug Prolatan is used to treat increased eye pressure.
- reduction of increased intraocular pressure in patients suffering from open-angle glaucoma and increased intraocular pressure;
- reduction of increased intraocular pressure in pediatric patients with increased intraocular pressure and childhood glaucoma;
- treatment of increased ophthalmotonus.
Not applicable if the patient has hypersensitivity (allergy) to one of the components that make up the drug.
It is not recommended to use in pediatrics.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
It is not used to treat pregnant women.
If there is a need to take this drug, then lactation (breastfeeding) should be suspended during treatment.
Method of administration and dosage
Daily Prolatan is injected 1 drop of Prolatan into the affected eye, 1 time per day.
The greatest effect is achieved if the drug is used in the evening, before going to bed.
More frequent use reduces the effectiveness of the drug (pressure does not decrease as actively), therefore, increasing the dosage is not recommended.
Missing a dose is not a reason for increasing the dosage or frequency of administration of the drug.
To increase the effectiveness of the effect, after instilling the drug, you need to slightly press down the eyelids, squeezing the lacrimal sac (inner corner of the eye).
Contact lenses are removed before instillation. Their installation is possible only after 15-20 minutes.
If there is a need to instill other eye drops, then the break between their use should be at least 5 minutes.
Children’s dosage and frequency of administration does not differ from that of an adult.
The duration of treatment is determined by the attending physician.
An overdose of the drug can cause:
- eye irritation;
- conjunctival hyperemia.
Accidental swallowing of the drug in large quantities may cause:
- abdominal pain;
- increased sweating;
- increased fatigue;
- hot flashes.
In this case, treatment of symptoms, gastric lavage, and intake of enterosorbents is recommended.
Therapy with this drug can cause side reactions in the form of:
- herpetic keratitis, keratitis, blepharitis;
- increased pigmentation of the iris;
- changes in eyelashes and vellus hair (increase in length, thickness, pigmentation and quantity);
- mild to moderate conjunctival hyperemia, eye irritation (burning with gritty sensation in the eyes, itching, dryness, tingling and foreign body sensation in the eye);
- point epithelial erosions, often asymptomatic;
- pain in the eyes;
- swelling of the eyelids;
- blurred vision, especially the first 15 minutes after the instillation procedure;
- iritis, uveitis;
- macular edema, symptomatic edema and corneal erosion;
- periorbital edema, the growth of eyelashes in the wrong direction, which can cause eye irritation, as well as the appearance of an additional row of eyelashes near the excretory ducts of the meibomian glands (distichiasis);
- exacerbation of angina pectoris in patients with concomitant diseases;
- bronchial asthma, shortness of breath;
- myalgia, arthralgia;
- extremely rare – corneal calcification due to the intake of eye drops containing phosphate by some patients who have significantly damaged the cornea.
Storage conditions and periods
Shelf life of Prolatan is no more than 2 years from the production date indicated on the package.
Store in a dry place out of the reach of children, at a temperature not lower than 2 and not higher than 8 ° C.
After opening the bottle, the drug retains its properties for 4 weeks, provided that it is stored at a temperature not lower than 25 ° C.