Prevention of infections in small cuts and abrasions, minor burns and minor surgical procedures. Treatment of fungal and bacterial skin infections, as well as bedsores and trophic ulcers.
Main active ingredient: povidone iodine.
Excipients included in the preparation: polyethylene glycol, proxanol, sodium phosphate, purified water.
It is produced in the form of an ointment in tubes with a volume of 40 grams, where 1 gram of the drug contains 100 mg of povidone iodine.
This drug Ranostop is from the group of antiseptic and disinfectant drugs used in dermatology.
Made on the basis of the main active ingredient – povidone iodine. This substance consists of a complex, including trace elements – iodine and polyvinylpyrrolidone polymer, capable of releasing iodine molecules after being applied to the skin.
Iodine elements have a strong bactericidal effect, producing a broad antimicrobial effect against pathological microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoa. The drug is especially active when it comes into contact with the skin. Since the drug does not contain ethanol, it does not have such a strong skin irritant effect as iodine alcohol solutions.
Does not show resistance even with prolonged use. In this case, povidone iodine is able to quickly dissolve in water and wash off with water.
This drug Ranostop is used to treat fungal and bacterial skin infections, as well as pressure ulcers and trophic ulcers.
Also recommended for the prevention of infections with minor cuts and abrasions, minor burns and minor surgical procedures.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
Use is contraindicated in:
- Dühring’s dermatitis herpetiformis;
- disorders of the thyroid gland (nodular colloid goiter, endemic goiter and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis);
- treatment and scintigraphy with radioactive iodine in patients with thyroid carcinoma;
- renal failure.
The use of povidone iodine can reduce the absorption of iodine by the thyroid gland, as well as affect the results of some tests and procedures, and therefore treatment of thyroid disease with iodine preparations may not be possible. After the treatment with povidone iodine is discontinued, it is necessary to take a break of at least 1 to 4 weeks.
For children under 1 year old, the drug is used only under strict indications.
Not for use in children under 6 years of age.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug can be used in the treatment of pregnant women, if necessary, according to strict indications, without exceeding the dosage.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, lactation is suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
The drug Ranostop is intended for external use.
The drug is applied 1 or 2 times a day. The maximum duration of treatment is up to 2 weeks.
If necessary, the course of treatment can be extended.
Old age or renal / hepatic impairment is not a reason for dosage adjustments.
In the absence of swallowing, overdose has not been observed and is unlikely.
Overdose by accidental ingestion can cause iodine intoxication. Symptoms:
- a drop in insulin levels in the blood (hypoglycemia);
- metallic taste in the mouth, increased salivation, burning or pain in the mouth, throat;
- irritation and swelling of the eyes;
- skin reactions;
- gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea;
- impaired renal function, anuria;
- insufficiency of blood circulation;
- laryngeal edema, secondary asphyxia, pulmonary edema, metabolic acidosis, hypernatremia.
Symptoms should be treated, with particular attention to thyroid function, electrolyte balance, and kidney function.
With iodine intoxication, you should eat starch or protein (starch solution in water or milk), use sodium thiosulfate.
The drug is usually well tolerated. Side effects may occur in the form of:
- electrolyte imbalance (hypernatremia), metabolic acidosis;
- disorders of the kidneys, incl. acute renal failure;
- hypersensitivity reactions in the form of skin rashes – allergic urticaria, contact dermatitis, rash;
- hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism;
- increased blood pressure, difficulty breathing.
Storage conditions and periods
Expiration date – up to 2 years from the production date indicated on the package.
The storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.