Hypersensitivity to rimantadine, a group of adamantane derivatives or to the excipients of the drug. Acute and chronic diseases of the liver and kidneys. Thyrotoxicosis.
active substance: rimantadine;
1 capsule contains rimantadine hydrochloride 100 mg;
excipients: lactose monohydrate; potato starch; stearic acid; titanium dioxide (E 171); dye “Yellow West FCF” (E 110); gelatin.
Remavir is a derivative of amantadine, has a pronounced antiviral activity. It is effective against various influenza A viruses, and also has an antitoxic effect in influenza caused by virus type B. Remavir inhibits the replication of the virus in the early stages of the cycle by disrupting the formation of the viral envelope. Genetic experiments have shown that a specific protein of the virion M2 gene is of great importance in the antiviral action of rimantadine against influenza A virus. In vitro, rimantadine inhibits the replication of all three antigenic subtypes (H1N1, H2N2, H3N3) of the influenza virus detected in humans. Remavir does not affect the immunogenic properties of the inactivated influenza A vaccine.
Early treatment of influenza A virus in adults and children over 10 years of age.
Prevention of influenza type A during the epidemic in adults and children over 10 years.
- Hypersensitivity to rimantadine, adamantane derivatives or excipients.
- Severe hepatic and renal impairment.
- Acute and chronic liver and kidney diseases.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Use during pregnancy or breastfeeding
Remavir crosses the placental barrier, passes into breast milk, so the use of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding is contraindicated.
Method of application and dosage
Take orally, after meals, with water. The capsule should not be chewed.
Remavir should be started as early as possible, as soon as the first symptoms of the flu appear. The therapeutic effect is more pronounced if the drug is started within the first 48 hours after the first symptoms of influenza.
Influenza treatment: adults and children over 10 years – 100 mg 2 times a day.
Be sure to talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
Elderly patients (over 65 years) – 100 mg 1 time per day.
The duration of treatment is 5 days.
Influenza prevention: adults and children over 10 years – 100 mg 2 times a day.
Elderly or at high risk of complications – 100 mg once daily.
The drug should be started at the beginning of an influenza epidemic and used during an epidemic, but not longer than 2 weeks.
For patients with mild to moderate hepatic and / or renal impairment, the dose should be adjusted if necessary: 100 mg once daily. Patients should be closely monitored.
The drug can be used in children over 10 years of age after consulting a doctor.
In cases of overdose – symptomatic therapy to maintain vital functions of the body.
There is information about a case of poisoning by a chemical analogue – amantadine.
Symptoms: agitation, hallucinations, arrhythmia, fever, chills, sweating, arrhythmia, hypoaesthesia, increased tearing, dysphagia, constipation, increased urination, stomatitis, eye pain.
Treatment: drug withdrawal, gastric lavage, intravenous physostigmine: adults 1-2 mg, children – 0.5 mg, if repeated administration is required, but not more than 2 mg per hour. Rimantadine and amantadine are not removed by hemodialysis.
The drug is usually well tolerated.
- From the gastrointestinal tract: dyspepsia (nausea, vomiting), uncommon: abdominal pain, diarrhea, indigestion, dry mouth, anorexia.
- From the nervous system: insomnia, impaired concentration, dizziness, headache, fatigue, tremor, hallucinations, convulsions, confusion, ataxia (impaired coordination), drowsiness, increased agitation, depression, euphoria, hyperkinesis (spontaneous movements), change / loss of taste , parosmia.
- From the heart: palpitations, heart failure, edema, impaired cardiac conduction (blockade), tachycardia.
- From the vessels: hypertension, cerebrovascular disorders, syncope.
- From the genitals and mammary glands: galactorrhea.
- From the vestibular apparatus and hearing organs: noise / ringing in the ears.
- From the respiratory system: cough, dyspnea (shortness of breath), bronchospasm.
- From the skin and subcutaneous tissue: rash, itching, urticaria.
- From the immune system, skin and subcutaneous tissue: pale skin, possible hypersensitivity reactions, including skin rash, itching, urticaria.
- General disorders: asthenia (weakness), exacerbation of concomitant chronic diseases.
Usually the side effects disappear after taking the drug.
Store in a dry, dark place at a temperature not exceeding 25 oC.
Keep out of reach of children.