Hypersensitivity to rimantadine, a group of adamantane derivatives or to the excipients of the drug. Acute and chronic diseases of the liver and kidneys. Thyrotoxicosis.
active substance: rimantadine;
1 tablet contains rimantadine hydrochloride 50 mg;
excipients: lactose monohydrate; potato starch; stearic acid.
Remavir is a derivative of amantadine, has a pronounced antiviral activity. It is effective against various influenza A viruses and also has an antitoxic effect in influenza caused by virus B. Rimantadine inhibits virus replication in the early stages of the cycle by disrupting the formation of the viral envelope. Genetic experiments have shown that a specific protein of the M2 virion gene is important in the antiviral activity of rimantadine against influenza A virus. In vitro, rimantadine inhibits the replication of all three antigenic subtypes (H1N1, H2N2, H3N3) of the influenza virus detected in humans. Rimantadine does not affect the immunogenic properties of the inactivated influenza A vaccine.
Early treatment of influenza A virus in adults and children over 10 years of age.
Prevention of influenza type A during the epidemic in adults and children over 10 years.
- Hypersensitivity to rimantadine, derivatives of the adamantane group or to excipients.
- Acute and chronic liver and kidney diseases.
Use during pregnancy or breastfeeding
Remavir crosses the placental barrier and passes into breast milk, so the drug is contraindicated.
Method of application and dosage
Take the tablets orally after a meal with water.
Remavir should be started as early as possible, as soon as the first symptoms of the flu appear. The therapeutic effect is more pronounced if the drug is started within the first 48 hours after the first symptoms of influenza.
Treatment of influenza: adults and children over 10 years: 100 mg (2 tablets) 2 times a day.
Be sure to talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
Elderly patients (over 65 years) – 100 mg (2 tablets) once a day.
The duration of treatment is 5 days.
Influenza prevention: adults and children over 10 years of age 100 mg (2 tablets) 2 times a day.
Elderly or at high risk of complications – 100 mg (2 tablets) 1 time per day.
The drug should be started at the beginning of an influenza epidemic and used during an epidemic, but not longer than 2 weeks.
The drug can be used in children over 10 years of age.
In cases of overdose – symptomatic therapy to maintain vital functions of the body.
There is information about a case of poisoning by a chemical analogue – amantadine.
Symptoms: agitation, hallucinations, arrhythmia, fever, chills, sweating, arrhythmia, hypoaesthesia, increased tearing, dysphagia, constipation, increased urination, stomatitis, eye pain.
Treatment: drug withdrawal, gastric lavage, intravenous physostigmine in children – 0.5 mg, if repeated administration is required, but not more than 2 mg per 1 hour. Rimantadine and amantadine are not removed by hemodialysis.
The drug is usually well tolerated.
- From the gastrointestinal tract: dyspepsia (nausea, vomiting), uncommon: abdominal pain, diarrhea, indigestion, dry mouth, anorexia.
- From the nervous system: insomnia, impaired concentration, dizziness, headache, fatigue, tremor, hallucinations, convulsions, confusion, ataxia (impaired coordination), drowsiness, increased agitation, depression, euphoria, hyperkinesis (spontaneous movements), change / loss of taste, parosmia.
- From the heart: palpitations, heart failure, edema, impaired cardiac conduction (blockade), tachycardia.
- From the vessels: hypertension, cerebrovascular disorders, syncope.
- From the genitals and mammary glands: galactorrhea.
- From the vestibular apparatus and hearing organs: noise / ringing in the ears.
- From the respiratory system: cough, dyspnea (shortness of breath), bronchospasm.
- From the skin and subcutaneous tissue: rash, itching, urticaria.
- From the immune system, skin and subcutaneous tissue: pale skin, possible hypersensitivity reactions, including skin rash, itching, urticaria.
- General disorders: asthenia (weakness), exacerbation of concomitant chronic diseases.
- Usually the side effects disappear after taking the drug.
Store in the original package at a temperature not exceeding 25 oC.
Keep out of reach of children.