Early treatment of diseases caused by influenza a viruses in adults and children over 10 years of age. Prevention of type a flu during an epidemic in adults and children over 10 years of age.
Composition and form of release
Main active ingredients: rimantadine.
Auxiliary components: lactose, starch, cellulose, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide.
Produced and marketed in the form of tablets, 50 mg of rimantadine hydrochloride.
This drug belongs to the group of antiviral drugs – rimantadines, used systemically.
The main active component of the drug, rimantadine hydrochloride, is an amantadine derivative. Has a pronounced antiviral activity.
Rimantadin has an effect on different A-type virus strains, including the main three – H1N1, H2N2, H3N3 – types.
In addition, it also has an antitoxic effect on influenza viruses caused by the B-type virus.
It is able to inhibit the ability of the virus to reproduce (replicate), especially the antiviral effect is high in the early stages, when the virus has not yet multiplied to a critical amount. The mechanism is the ability to disrupt the formation of the envelope of the virus.
As shown by genetic studies, when using rimantadin, the latter does not affect the immunogenic effect when a vaccine (inactivated) is administered, which prevents the development of the A-type virus.
It is intended for treatment in the early stages of infectious diseases caused by influenza A viruses in adults and children over 7 years old.
It is also effective as a prophylactic agent for preventing influenza type A disease in patients of the above age group.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or one of the auxiliary components.
It is contraindicated to use at:
- severe violations of the kidneys, liver;
Simultaneous use with alcohol is contraindicated (dangerous reactions from the nervous system are possible).
Simultaneous use with paracetamol and acetylsalicylic acid reduces the effectiveness of rimantadine.
In turn, it was noted that rimantadine reduces the effectiveness of antiepileptic drugs.
This drug is prescribed with caution to patients with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, severe diseases of the heart and heart rate, and to the elderly. In these cases, it is recommended to reduce the dose of the drug.
Not used in pediatrics until the age of 7.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is contraindicated in pregnant women, as well as when planning pregnancy.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, lactation is suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
The drug is taken orally after meals with water.
The use of rimantadin should be started as early as possible, immediately after the first symptoms of influenza appear, preferably in the first 48 hours after the onset of the first symptoms of influenza (aching muscles and bones, high temperature – above 38.5 ° C, fever alternating with chills, in the absence of reactions in the form of a runny nose or cough in the first 3 days).
- for the treatment of adults, for 5 days, day 1 – 100 mg 3 times a day, 2-3 days – 100 mg 2 times a day, on the 4-5th day – 100 mg 1 time in a day;
- for the treatment of children from 11 to 14 years old – 50 mg 3 times a day;
- for the treatment of children from 7 to 10 years old – 50 mg 2 times a day.
- for the treatment of patients over 65 years old – 100 mg 2 times a day.
- for the prevention of influenza – within 10-15 days after the beginning of the influenza epidemic, 50 mg (1 tablet) 1 time per day.
The faster you start using the drug at the first signs of illness, the better the result will be.
Increasing the dosage will not improve the therapeutic effect, however, it can cause unwanted side effects, therefore, the recommended dosage should not be exceeded.
With excessive use, you may experience:
- agitation, hallucinations;
- heart rhythm disturbances, arrhythmia, hypesthesia;
- fever, chills, sweating, tearing;
- dysphagia, constipation, increased urination;
- stomatitis, pain in the eyes.
- stop taking the drug;
- perform gastric lavage;
- take enterosorbents;
- children – physostigmine.
Hemodialysis is not effective.
The drug is usually well tolerated when used in the recommended doses.
The most common side effects were:
- dyspepsia in the form of nausea, vomiting, less often – abdominal pain, diarrhea, indigestion, dry mouth, anorexia;
- insomnia, dizziness, headache, increased fatigue, convulsions, confusion, ataxia;
- heart failure, edema, cardiac conduction disturbances (blockade), tachycardia;
- arterial hypertension, cerebrovascular disorders, fainting;
- cough, shortness of breath, bronchospasm;
- asthenia, exacerbation of chronic diseases.
Usually disappear after drug withdrawal.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life is up to 3 years.
The storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.