Treatment of essential arterial hypertension in adults and children over 6 years of age. Treatment of kidney disease in adult patients with arterial hypertension and type II diabetes mellitus with proteinuria ≥ 0.5 g / day – as part of antihypertensive therapy. Treatment of chronic heart failure (in patients aged 60 years and older), when the use of ACE inhibitors is considered impossible due to incompatibility, especially when coughing, or is contraindicated. Patients with heart failure whose condition has stabilized with the use of an ACE inhibitor should not be transferred to treatment with losartan. The patient’s left ventricular ejection fraction should be ≤ 40 %, the condition should be clinically stable, and the patient should adhere to the established treatment regimen for chronic heart failure. To reduce the risk of stroke in adult patients with hypertension and left ventricular hypertrophy, confirmed by ECG.
Sentor Composition and form of release
The main active ingredient of the drug is potassium losartan.
The auxiliary substances are: microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, croscarmellose sodium, colloidal anhydrous silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, etc.
It is produced in the form of tablets, in a dosage of 50 and 100 mg of the main active ingredient – losartan potassium.
This drug belongs to the group of drugs – type II angiotensin receptor antagonists, based on losartan potassium.
The main active ingredient, potassium losartan, is a vasoconstrictor, an active hormone related to the renin-angiotensive system. Angiotensin II is able to bind to the AT1 receptor found in various tissues of the body. Particularly in the smooth muscle of the blood vessels, which are part of the adrenal glands, kidneys and heart muscle.
Promotes the proliferation of smooth muscle cells.
This hormone also has the property of detecting various biological reactions, including the reaction of vasoconstriction and the release of the hormone aldosterone, which is the main mineralocorticosteroid hormone of the adrenal cortex.
Losartan is able to selectively bind to the AT1 receptor, while not binding or blocking other hormone and ion channel receptors. Also, this hormone does not have the ability to inhibit the ACE enzyme that promotes the breakdown of bradykinin.
This drug is used to treat arterial hypertension – a condition in which a person has a persistent increase in blood pressure, from 140/90 mm Hg and above.
Also used for:
- arterial hypertension, accompanied by left ventricular hypertrophy, in order to reduce the risk of complications and mortality due to cardiovascular disorders;
- type II diabetes mellitus with proteinuria, to slow the progression of kidney disease, as well as to reduce proteinuria;
- chronic heart failure.
Not applicable if the patient has hypersensitivity (allergy) to one of the components that make up the drug.
Contraindicated in severe hepatic failure.
It is not used in pediatrics until the age of 6.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
It is not used to treat pregnant women.
If there is a need to take this drug, then during treatment, lactation (breastfeeding) should be suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
The drug Sentor is taken orally, by mouth, regardless of the meal, once a day.
The recommended average daily dose is 50 mg.
The maximum hypotensive effect develops no earlier than 3-6 weeks after starting treatment with this drug.
If necessary, it is allowed to increase the daily dosage to 100 mg, which is also the maximum permissible daily dose.
When prescribing to patients receiving high doses of diuretics, the initial dose should be reduced to 25 mg per day.
- heart failure – 12.5 mg, with a weekly increase in dosage by 12.5 mg, until a maximum dosage of 150 mg per day is reached, maintenance dosage is 50 mg;
- children weighing from 20 to 50 kg – 25 mg;
- adults weighing less than 50 kg – no more than 50 mg.
Patients with impaired liver function take a reduced dosage of the drug.
Elderly patients, patients with impaired renal function (including those on dialysis), as well as patients with mild to moderate hepatic impairment do not need dosage adjustment.
This drug can also be prescribed concurrently with the intake of other antihypertensive drugs.
An overdose of the drug can cause:
- arterial hypotension;
- bradycardia (due to the activation of the parasympathetic nervous system).
In this case, treatment of symptoms, gastric lavage, and intake of enterosorbents is recommended.
The use of hemodialysis is recommended.
Therapy with this drug can cause side reactions in the form of:
- dizziness, vertigo, drowsiness, headache, insomnia;
- sensations of palpitations, angina pectoris, tachycardia;
- symptomatic hypotension (especially in patients with a deficiency of intravascular fluid volume, for example, in patients with severe heart failure or those receiving high doses of diuretics), dose-dependent orthostatic effect, rash;
- abdominal pain, persistent constipation;
- asthenia, fatigue, edema, chest pain;
- increased ALT levels, hyperkalemia;
- anemia, thrombocytopenia;
- loss of consciousness;
- diarrhea, pancreatitis, hepatitis, liver dysfunction;
- back pain, muscle cramps;
- urinary tract infections;
- flu-like symptoms;
- ringing in the ears;
- erectile dysfunction, impotence;
- changes in the functioning of the kidneys, including renal failure (reversible phenomena).
If you are allergic to the drug, you may experience:
- anaphylactic reactions, angioedema;
- vasculitis, including Shenlein-Henoch purpura;
- migraine, cough;
- allergic urticaria, pruritus, rash, photosensitivity;
- myalgia, arthralgia;
Storage conditions and periods Sentor
The shelf life of the drug is no more than 5 years from the production date indicated on the package.
Store in a dry place out of the reach of children, at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C.