Urinary incontinence, peremptory urination or accelerated urination with instability of the bladder due to neurogenic bladder dysfunction (detrusor hyperreflexia), observed in diseases such as multiple sclerosis and spina bifida, or due to idiopathic instability of detrusor function (motor urgent incontinence). Also used to control hyperactivity of the bladder that occurs after surgery on the bladder or prostate gland, or with concomitant cystitis. Oxybutynin hydrochloride is indicated for use in children with: urinary incontinence, peremptory urination or accelerated urination with unstable bladder function due to idiopathic bladder hyperactivity or neurogenic bladder dysfunction (detrusor hyperactivity); nocturnal enuresis associated with hyperactivity of detrusor, in combination with non-drug treatment, in case of failure of another therapy.
Composition and form of release
Active ingredient: oxybutynin hydrochloride.
Sibutin is produced in the form of tablets 5 mg.
A drug used in urology as an antispasmodic. It has a direct effect on detrusor smooth muscle fibers, as well as an anticholinergic effect, blocking the effects of acetylcholine on M-cholinergic receptors. As a result, relaxation of the detrusor occurs, the frequency of its spontaneous contractions of the detrusor decreases, and the volume of the bladder increases.
Sibutin is used for instability of the bladder function (urgency, accelerated urination, urinary incontinence) due to neurogenic dysfunction (detrusor hyperreflexia), which is usually observed in multiple sclerosis, spina bifida, idiopathic detrusor instability.
It is also prescribed to control excessive motility of the bladder after surgery on the prostate, bladder, with concomitant cystitis.
For children, this drug is prescribed for urinary incontinence, accelerated urination, urgent urge due to the instability of the bladder function – idiopathic hyperactivity or neurogenic bladder dysfunction. Also indicated for nocturnal enuresis associated with detrusor overactivity.
Sibutin should not be prescribed:
- with allergies to components;
- children under 5 years old;
- with myasthenia gravis;
- with narrow-angle glaucoma, small anterior chamber of the eye;
- with fever;
- at elevated ambient temperatures;
- in violation of dysfunction of the esophagus, including hernia of the alimentary opening;
- with functional / organic obstruction of the esophagus / stomach / intestines, incl. pyloric stenosis, gastrointestinal atony, intestinal obstruction;
- with an ileostomy / colostomy;
- with toxic megacolon;
- with severe ulcerative colitis;
- with urinary tract obstruction (if urinary retention may worsen).
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Method of administration and dosage
It is administered orally (by mouth). The tablet can be divided into two equal doses.
The recommended dose for adults is 5 mg x 2–3 times / day. The dose can be increased to the maximum – 5 mg x4 times / day – provided that there are no side reactions.
Elderly patients are recommended to use 2.5 mg x2 times / day. The dose can be increased to 5 mg x2 times / day – provided that the drug is well tolerated.
Children from 5 years old with neurogenic instability of the bladder, nocturnal enuresis are prescribed 2.5 mg x2 times / day. The dose can be increased to 5 mg 2-3 times / day – provided that the drug is well tolerated.
Symptoms: psychotic behavior, anxiety, agitation, hot flashes, drop in blood pressure, respiratory failure, circulatory failure, paralysis, coma.
Treatment: gastric lavage, with severe anticholinergic syndrome – the use of neostigmine (physostigmine), with severe excitement – the use of diazepam, with tachycardia – propranolol, with paralysis of the respiratory muscles – mechanical ventilation, with urinary retention – catheterization of the bladder.
- Co side of digestion: dry mouth, nausea, constipation, anorexia, abdominal discomfort, gastroesophageal reflux, diarrhea, vomiting, impaired appetite, dysphagia.
- Infections / invasions: infection.
- Co side of the nervous system: drowsiness, headache, dizziness, convulsions.
- From the side of the psyche: nightmares, agitation, hallucinations, confusion, delirium, disorientation, anxiety, paranoia.
- Co side of immunity: allergy.
- Co side of the cardiovascular system: tachycardia, arrhythmias, hot flashes.
- From the side of the organs of vision: dilated pupils, increased intraocular pressure, dryness of the conjunctiva, blurred vision, angle-closure glaucoma.
- Others: heatstroke.
- Co side of the urinary tract: urinary retention, dysuria.
- Co side of the skin: dry skin, rashes, angioedema, urticaria, photosensitivity, hypohidrosis.
Storage conditions and periods
Store no more than 3 years at 15-25 ° С.