Treatment of psoriasis of the scalp and other non-infectious inflammatory, allergic or itchy diseases of the scalp, which show symptomatic use of potent corticosteroids. Corticosteroids for use in dermatology. Active corticosteroids (group i). Corticosteroids are potent.
Composition and form of release
The main active ingredient is betamethasone.
Auxiliary components are: isopropyl alcohol, polysorbate, disodium edetate, diluted hydrochloric acid, purified water.
It is produced in the form of a solution for external use, packaged in vials of 15, 30, 50 or 100 ml.
1 gram of solution contains 1 mg of betamethasone.
This pharmaceutical agent belongs to corticosteroids, which are intended for use in dermatology.
Specifically, betamethasone is a synthetic fluorinated adrenocorticosteroid that is used topically.
This substance has a high glucocorticosteroid activity, and at the same time – a minimal mineralocorticoid effect. Produces anti-inflammatory, immunosuppressive, antipruritic, antiproliferative and vasoconstrictor effects.
It is a synthetic analogue of prednisolone. Like all corticosteroids, it helps to reduce the release, formation, and activity of chemical elements that mediate the inflammatory process. These include kinins, histamines, lysosomal enzymes, prostaglandins.
It has the property of inhibiting cell migration into the cell, to the damaged site, causing a decrease in vasodilation and increased permeability of veins, arteries and capillaries at the site of injury. As a consequence of this vasoconstrictor effect, extravasation decreases and the likelihood of edema decreases.
Thanks to corticosteroids, the entry of macrophages and some types of T-lymphocytes (sensitized) into the target cells is limited.
The drug is intended to reduce the symptoms of the inflammatory process in psoriasis and seborrhea of the scalp, allergies or itching in non-infectious diseases of the scalp, the initial stage of severe atopic eczema.
You should not use the specified drug if the patient has had a previous hypersensitivity (allergy) with respect to one of the components that are part of the drug – both basic and auxiliary.
Also contraindicated for:
- rosacea, acne, common plaque psoriasis;
- perianal and genital itching, varicose veins;
- post-vaccination reactions, viral infections (herpes, shingles, chickenpox);
- diaper dermatitis, perioral dermatitis;
- skin manifestations of syphilis, skin tuberculosis;
- other bacterial and fungal skin infections.
Do not use for the treatment of children under 12 months of age.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Should not be used to treat pregnant women.
During treatment with this drug, breastfeeding should be suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
This drug is used by applying it evenly twice a day to the affected skin.
In mild cases, it is enough to apply the drug once a day or even every other day.
If there are signs of improvement in the condition, it is necessary to reduce the amount of the applied drug.
Make sure that the drug does not get into the eyes! In case of contact with eyes, rinse with water.
The duration of treatment is determined by the attending physician individually, by the attending physician.
Do not cover the affected skin with an occlusive dressing with this drug.
Corticosteroid overdose can cause:
- suppression of pituitary-adrenal function;
- secondary insufficiency of the adrenal glands;
- manifestation of symptoms of hypercortisolism, including Cushing’s syndrome.
Recommended symptomatic treatment, gradual withdrawal of the drug.
The most common side effects are:
- rash, increased sensitivity, hyperigmentation;
- skin irritation, erythema, itching;
- dry skin, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acne-like rash;
- hypopigmentation, acne, rosacea-like dermatitis, perioral dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis;
- maceration of the skin, skin atrophy (when wearing occlusive dressings);
- peeling of the skin, telangiectasia;
- striae, protrusion of blood vessels on the face, with prolonged use of local corticosteroids in this area of the skin;
- insufficiency of the adrenal glands.
Storage conditions and periods
This medicinal product is able to retain its medicinal properties for 3 years from the date of manufacture, which is usually indicated on the package.
The drug should be kept out of the reach of children. Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.
After opening, the drug retains its properties for 3 months.